Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

D owners - Can you hear both motors whirr upon acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can hear both in my D. The pitch is the same, but the front one is closer to our ears and seems less insulated, so I can hear it more, especially on deceleration. For comparison, go drive an S60 or S85. I test drove an S85 and it's definitely quieter.

That said, I don't think my mission is to have a soundless car. I think the sound of electric whirr is integral to the EV experience. Hearing increasing volume of a warp-drive sounding thing as you apply power to your spaceship is very satisfying.

- K

I hear the whirr but I can't say for sure where it's coming from. It's only really noticeable if I have the radio off or if I really get on the accelerator. It sounds like how cars from the future sound in the movies and I actually enjoy it!

I can only hear the front motor. Back seat passengers have said they can only hear the rear.

Same here (hear!). I enjoy the sound. My next door neighbor has a Cobra....man that thing is LOUD!....I had him drive the D two weekends ago...he loved the sound....Probably he could actually hear his thoughts for the first time ever.