Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console nav traffic overlay lines smaller?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Has anybody else noticed the maps on their center nav (Google maps) display has had the traffic overlay lines get much smaller/thinner recently?

The last FW upgrade (the weird 101.136.2 flavor of 6.2) was several weeks ago, yet this behavior just manifested within the last week or so. This makes me believe it may be a Google thing...

It reminds me of the way the lines looked back in the 4.x FW versions when there was a 2x magnification level, but you left 1x selected. Later firmware revisions did away with this and increased the thickness of the overlay lines without also magnifying the rest of the map. The lines I'm seeing now are back to that very thin rendering.

I haven't rebooted my center console yet... wondering if anybody else has seen the same?

I think it is a google thing and not a tesla update. My google app on iPhone shows the same smaller lines. I much preferred the older display as it was easier to glance at the screen and get the necessary information quickly.

I noticed this recently as well - maybe in the last few days. It was not tied to a software update. In fact, I'm in a loaner today that's still on 2.4.160 and it has the updated center screen maps. It's probably just a Google update like GIdoc mentioned.

Has anybody else noticed the maps on their center nav (Google maps) display has had the traffic overlay lines get much smaller/thinner recently?

The last FW upgrade (the weird 101.136.2 flavor of 6.2) was several weeks ago, yet this behavior just manifested within the last week or so. This makes me believe it may be a Google thing...

It reminds me of the way the lines looked back in the 4.x FW versions when there was a 2x magnification level, but you left 1x selected. Later firmware revisions did away with this and increased the thickness of the overlay lines without also magnifying the rest of the map. The lines I'm seeing now are back to that very thin rendering.

I haven't rebooted my center console yet... wondering if anybody else has seen the same?

An issue I've run into is that for the traffic overlay lines it's hard to distinguish which traffic-direction they apply to. I think it would be nice if -when in nav mode- it would only show the color (e.g. red == traffic jam) as applicable to the direction you're traveling. I've had several times I thought I would be entering a traffic jam where in reality the traffic was in the opposite direction...

Last edited:

Hah, I noticed something was different but couldn't but my finger on it. Since the NAV screen on the center console is just rendering Google Maps HTML, it's something that Google can easily change on their end.

The lines also got orange whereas they were yellow.

And the bandwidth defining "what is slow" has gotten larger, or the tolerance, or something...

Large portions of the city that were previously green or less noticeable yellow, are now scarily orange.
But traffic is moving fine as I drive through that zone. ... should be green.

And is red the new black, or what? Is it a darker shade of red... or what does it take to qualify as black.

eesh..

Google: fix it.

Tesla: influence Google, do they want a car company or not?!

Both of you: get your damn self driving aspirations figured out and stop crashing autonomous vehicles.

Self: enough already, shut up.

While we are talking about the center console map, I've always found it really annoying how large and thick the fonts are for city names. In night mode particularly, there is one in my region that is pretty bad. "RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK" covers a major split of a freeway and interstate that often has traffic issues. The zoom level can be changed to see it a little better, but the zoom level I like to leave it at looks like this:

20150513_145609.jpg

I'm okay with the green lines being thinner which makes it look more like Apple Maps which doesn't show greens at all (my favorite app for day to day use). The yellow and red lines however should have been left thicker.

The lines also got orange whereas they were yellow.

And the bandwidth defining "what is slow" has gotten larger, or the tolerance, or something...

Large portions of the city that were previously green or less noticeable yellow, are now scarily orange.
But traffic is moving fine as I drive through that zone. ... should be green.

And is red the new black, or what? Is it a darker shade of red... or what does it take to qualify as black.

I could be wrong but it seems to me that the new overlay system displays varying shades of red/orange/yellow to indicate more gradations of gridlock. Again, maybe just my imagination but I presumed that this is what was going on.

As an adjunct to this, I entered a Nav route for the first time in a couple of weeks today... the first time since the smaller lines have showed up.

With the blue route line on the center console the now-thinner route lines either disappear, or are obscured completely.

Zooming in to fatten the lines up has no effect. I think they traffic lines disappear completely, as I think a couple of nearby congest routes NOT under the blue Nav route overlay also disappeared. I'll double check that again.

I bug-reported it.

Last edited:
As a side note, this is the problem with relying on third party solutions ... at least for displaying info. Tesla has no control over changes and the Google solution is simply not designed for use in a vehicle.

Either that or those damn 25 year old engineers assume everyone's vision is as sharp as theirs.