Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double Black event in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone is attending the Dual Motor Tour in Fremont next week. Tesla is offering test drives in the 70D, 85D, and P85D along with a tour of the production line.

I tried unsuccessfully to RSVP 45 minutes after receiving the invite only to find out the event was filled after just 7 minutes according to Tesla customer service. I was hoping to at least do the production line tour even if no test drive slots were still available.

Let me know if you had any luck to be able to attend, sounds like a great event.

P.S. Not sure if this is the correct forum to post so feel free to move it if needed.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:
I think it's just a standard drive event with factory tours. But I'll report back after.

Thank you Bonnie! I just realized that I misread the original post and thought that event was happening this week, but it, of course, will be held next week.

I am interested in any information that might help to understand whether the 10kWh capacity of the 70D is achieved by using the next generation cells (the same quantity as in 60, but higher energy density by about 16.7%), or by just adding more cells to the 60 pack. Based on my musings posted in News sub-forum, based on the EPA range and energy consumption of 70D it appears that 70D did not gain weight due to additional capacity of the battery pack, i.e. the 70D pack is likely to contain new generation cells.

I think that the easiest way to determine if new 70kWh pack contains new cells is to get information on the weight of the 70D.

According to the Manual (p.149) 60 weighted 4407 lbs (223 lbs less than 85kWh version). The dual drives, according to the Road and Track, add 170 lbs on non-performance versions of the car. If the 70D battery just uses more cells, the weight of the 70D pack will be 223x(70-60)/(85-60)=89 lbs more than the 60 pack.

So curb weight of 70D of 4407+170+89=4666 lbs would probably indicate that extra capacity of the 70D pack is achieved by adding more cells.

If the curb weight turns out to be about 4407+170=4577 lbs, it might indicate that TM used next generation of Panasonic cells in the battery.

Just in case you bump into some engineering types that can shed some light on this...:smile:

image.jpg
My wife and I were fortunate enough to attend the event today. The factory tour was incredible and driving several D's helped us make our decision. Thank you Tesla for hosting this event.

Bonnie did you spot your X? How did your friends like the event ?

No X-spotting. Not even close - I gave up my tour spot so someone else who hadn't seen the new factory layout could go. (I've had plenty of tours & will have plenty more.) And consequently had a great time hanging out in the Delivery Center, talking to different Tesla employees who I know and meeting some others that I'd only talked with over the phone or via email.

And one of my friends is now on a mission to get his wife to test drive, so she can think it's her idea. He's sold. Since she's going to be here at the house tonight, I'll start the process :).

Why are the tours only for Tesla customers? I sent an email asking for a tour and the opportunity to test drive a car and was told it's only for Tesla customers. As someone who is considering buying a Model S I would think they would want to offer me a tour..... confused.

"Thank you for your email and inquiry about a tour and test drive. At this time we are only offering tours to Tesla customers. We do plan on offering public tours at some point in the future, but that date is still undecided. Keep your eyes on our website, as soon as public tours are offered we will update the site with the proper information."

Why are the tours only for Tesla customers? I sent an email asking for a tour and the opportunity to test drive a car and was told it's only for Tesla customers. As someone who is considering buying a Model S I would think they would want to offer me a tour..... confused.

"Thank you for your email and inquiry about a tour and test drive. At this time we are only offering tours to Tesla customers. We do plan on offering public tours at some point in the future, but that date is still undecided. Keep your eyes on our website, as soon as public tours are offered we will update the site with the proper information."

Simply because they don't have the bandwidth to offer tours to everyone that wants one. (And EVERYONE wants one.) Tesla is growing fast & decisions on where to spend money have to be prioritized. Nothing confusing about it.

So I just need to schedule a tour with one of my friends that already owns a Tesla and go as a guest?

If they're scheduling for owners who just want tours, sure. (If you read back up this thread, you'll see I sat out on my tour slot so that someone else could go in my place.) For awhile, it was only for people taking delivery at the factory or flying in around their delivery time. I can't speak for them. Just explaining why it is the way it is.