Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinios stops funding their GO GREEN program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not just this, but also curtailing solar/wind rebates. Clearly, Rauner is determined to slash budgets indiscriminately. Somewhat understandable in view of the state's atrocious fiscal situation... but disappointing that the guv can't see to continue funding for forward-thinking initiatives. I'll bet Commonwealth Edison is not bearing any brunt. If anyone knows better, I'd love to hear.

I calculated how much fuel taxes I've been paying over the last few years. Basically, I could replace all that fuel tax money with a $20/mo payment to some authority. In an era where our roads and bridges are crumbling, it's the height of arrogance to be annoyed over having to pay something towards that upkeep when you now have a way to avoid, in my case, the other *$180*/mo I was spending on gas. It's sad they're getting rid of the incentive to BUY a BEV but don't begrudge the state the money to keep those roads maintained. Remember - in a BEV nirvana, there are NO vehicles paying gas/diesel taxes. I wouldn't call $200 a fine.

For what it's worth, they are at least paying those solar/wind rebates that were in process - I got a letter this past week with the payment request forms, and they said they would issue payment this week. I was fearing I'd be out $10k.

But I definitely know my Model X won't get a $4K incentive.

I think someone calculated the actual gas taxes paid in a year for the average driver, and I think it was between $100 and $200, so a fee within that range (Missouri's is $75, for example) seems pretty reasonable.

I don't see anything wrong with fees for road use, but they should be proportional to damage due to equivalent FE/mileage (direct physical damage to roads) as well as the time spent on roads/mileage (damage from weather). Since EVs minimize both time spent on roads in most cases and weight in most cases, they should pay less than most cars.

With that said, at Georgia's ~$.44c/gallon state+federal fuel tax, they're charging an EV owner for the same amount of wear a vehicle that gets ~30mpg causes. A small EV at 100+MPGe does not cause the same wear and tear as something like a large hybrid SUV.

They should base it off of weight, MPGe, and ask people to self report mileage/time driving. It won't be perfect, but it'll at least be fair.