Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power from Fuse Box question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a few unused fuse slots in #2 fuse box with 15amp fuses plugged into them.
Does anyone know if there is an issue to tap into those slots with an add-a-fuse connector.
They all seem to be switched power, only hot when car is on, but that's what I need for my
Blackvue 650 dashcam power magic connection.

As long as you are sure it's only hot when the car is on, you should be fine. I would just use the 12v accessory outlet fuse as it's a known exactly how it works and is less likely to somehow be changed in a future FW update. The BlackVue takes so little power, it's not likely to reduce the amount of usable power off the 12v outlet anyway.

Another option is to go off the rear view mirror power. That's what I did. It's switched and only gets power while the car is on. The only drawback is the wires are small and more tricky to tap into. Getting the cover off and access to the wires is also tricky. But by going there, you avoid running wires a long distance from the front of the car to the headliner.

There's a few unused fuse slots in #2 fuse box with 15amp fuses plugged into them.
Does anyone know if there is an issue to tap into those slots with an add-a-fuse connector.
They all seem to be switched power, only hot when car is on, but that's what I need for my
Blackvue 650 dashcam power magic connection.

You don't need PowerMagic with a Blackvue dash cam on a Model S. If the long term current draw runs the voltage on the 12V down a bit, the main pack will recharge the 12V through the DC-to-DC converter per routine. I have my Blackvue tied into always-on 12V (in my case, I have a connector in my headliner under the microphone grille). My camera goes into Park mode but never shuts down. No worries. Save yourself the trouble.