Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is damage to alloy rims from tire R&R or wheel alignment just inevitable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive my ignorance/inexperience since I don't usually have painted alloy rims, or at least none that I really cared much about keeping up. However, I'd be interested to hear from people with real first hand knowledge about these processes. What are reasonable expectations for avoiding nicks, gouges and severe scuffs? Is it just something to expect and feel lucky when it doesn't happen? I know one shouldn't expect rims to come back looking like complete curb rash but is it simply luck of the draw to avoid all damage from these maintenance tasks?

Forgive my ignorance/inexperience since I don't usually have painted alloy rims, or at least none that I really cared much about keeping up. However, I'd be interested to hear from people with real first hand knowledge about these processes. What are reasonable expectations for avoiding nicks, gouges and severe scuffs? Is it just something to expect and feel lucky when it doesn't happen? I know one shouldn't expect rims to come back looking like complete curb rash but is it simply luck of the draw to avoid all damage from these maintenance tasks?

Not at all. I have had cars with premium and painted wheels all my life with never having a wheel damaged by a shop. R&R should be done from inside of the rim. Find a good reputable shop willing to stand behind their work, and one that is used to working on premium cars and especially alloy wheels.

Ideally, you have two sets of wheels for winter and summer (assuming you live where that applies). Every time you mount and dismount a tire you risk damage to the tire (the wheels are generally okay if proper equipment is used). The only time you should Re and Re the tires is when changing them or for repairs.