Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible strategy in states that Tesla is not licensed to sell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am living in Texas, and one of the hardest parts of the whole process was getting a chance to test drive a car. I had to wait quite a few months until there was a test drive event near me to get to experience the Model S.

It it would seem that one strategy is that in states where it is not legal to buy a Tesla, but they are allowed to hold test drive events is that they could hold a daily test drive event out of their gallery or service center that people that are interested could sign up and reserve a spot. Not that they are having any problem with demand, but doing it daily instead of nice a month or so, would allow lot more people to experience the benefits of going electric, as well as it would nullify one of the big obstacles in buying while living in a state such as Texas.

It it would seem that one strategy is that in states where it is not legal to buy a Tesla, but they are allowed to hold test drive events is that they could hold a daily test drive event out of their gallery or service center that people that are interested could sign up and reserve a spot. Not that they are having any problem with demand, but doing it daily instead of nice a month or so, would allow lot more people to experience the benefits of going electric, as well as it would nullify one of the big obstacles in buying while living in a state such as Texas.

?? Other than the reservation step, how is this different than just offering test drives to anyone who requests it at a gallery on a first come basis?

I am living in Texas, and one of the hardest parts of the whole process was getting a chance to test drive a car. I had to wait quite a few months until there was a test drive event near me to get to experience the Model S.

This is sure different that it was just a couple plus years ago.

We ordered the car. Paid $40,000 deposit.

We had no owner input. No videos of Tesla beating every other car on the road. No pictures. No drawings. Nothing from Tesla.

A lot of people never drove a Tesla until it was delivered.

They were pretty sure of what they wanted, and they got it.

Glad you got your test drive. Did that help make up your mind?

IT is astonisbhing to every time read how" free" the USA is, I live in a country full with rules, but nowhere here in Europe there is a limitation on sales through the Internet, small businesses do suffer here, think that is the same in the USA but not for TM, always thought the USA was a country where freedom was a big word but the so called mighty car world can stop Tesla being sold in four states, rest to tell that I love the USA.

Why not let someone rent a Model S for 30 minutes for $1 including full insurance.

As part of the agreement, an associate of Tesla has to travel with you.

Perhaps the only restriction would be that you wouldn't be restricted from taking Tesla's specified route, as it is technically a rental.

Tom, think the issues, if understood well, is putting the tittle (ownership) onto the new owner, have no idea how paperwork has to take its route.p but think the restrictions are getting a state license plate?

Yes, it helped. Though I bought the P85D without ever driving one.

See, I have heard of people test driving the various car types. I test drove the P85 and bought an 85 instead (mostly because I couldn't justify spending the extra money on an already tight budget for the car.) I would have definitely bought the car without a test drive but having the test drive was nice mostly because no matter how many times I tell people about the car or even with them riding as a passenger, it is not the same at all until you are behind the wheel. But yeah, when buying a new car there isn't a whole lot of reason to do a test drive if you already know everything about the car. You know it is what you want already, so just get it. Although, I am sure there are some people who have trouble deciding what they want (which is why they even test drive the various types on the Model S.)