Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone app can't connect to P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time since I took ownership in December, my P85D can't be woken up by my phone. The car is set to "always connected". It's cold here (maybe 15 deg F) but it's been colder before and I connect by phone every day.

Any others have this problem? Could it be a server issue or does the phone app connect straight to the car with no intervention by Tesla? I'm hoping my car hasn't been stolen by a thief sophisticated enough to disable connectivity :) (highly unlikely based on where it's parked...)

For the first time since I took ownership in December, my P85D can't be woken up by my phone.

Happens to me a *LOT* (this pre-heating the car thing is AwESOmE!!!) ... but then a retry (after the timeout or whatever) connects nearly instantly. No idea why... I'm blaming it on crappy cell service here in Chitown (I've had all the carriers but Verizon, they ALL suck for data... but that's a different forum) rather than the cold, but who knows.

Follow up: it turned out to be a problem with the 3G connection. When I entered the car, everything was fine except I noticed the nav map wasn't updating its graphics and the Internet radio couldn't load the next track either. So the phone was no longer on the Internet despite showing three bars of 3G signal. Somewhat counter intuitively, I fixed the problem by turning off the wifi and turning it back on. (There is no 3G reset option that I could find at least).