Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Sensor readout should include distance even after "Stop"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I think the parking sensors are great. I've never used anything like them before, and I'm finding them really useful. I am trying to be very careful, of course, not to even graze something when very slowly maneuvering into and out of my two pretty tight garages. But the maneuvering I am doing has sensors at various parts of the car often indicating "Stop" when I'm not going to stop, but need to keep going. That's fine. I understand that the sensors are working as designed. My point is that what would be a lot more helpful to me at these times than simply a big red "Stop" would be if I could also see the exact distance remaining to the wall of the garage or the parked car. The sensor knows the distance, but the software is choosing to just tell me to stop instead of telling me what that distance is. I'm not sure at what distance "Stop" kicks in--it may be 16 inches, or it may be something less than that. (I know I've seen 17 inches displayed on my screen frequently.) Is there any reason the software couldn't say "Stop" but still show the number of inches?

I realize that perhaps Tesla is concerned about liability if they show 2 inches remaining and it turned out to be only an inch and someone gets upset over that. Perhaps at some very small distance the distance would have to be shown as "less than 3 inches" or something along those lines, though it would be better if it could be shown right down to the last inch.

I'll plan to write to ownership with this suggestion, unless I'm missing something and this is a bad idea for a reason I have not thought of.

I'm wondering what others think?

I think the problem is more technical than liability. Like most companies, Tesla is using four sensors to cover the width of the car. Once you get really close, the sensors are only seeing right in front of themselves - something in between two sensors might be closer to the car and invisible to the ultrasound system.
Walter

I think the problem is more technical than liability. Like most companies, Tesla is using four sensors to cover the width of the car. Once you get really close, the sensors are only seeing right in front of themselves - something in between two sensors might be closer to the car and invisible to the ultrasound system.
Walter

That's a really interesting point.

Even so, the system has information that is of value to drivers. So perhaps the solution is to provide it in the form of "8 inches or less" instead of "8 inches." I just think Tesla can do better than just "Stop" when so much more information is available.

As long as it does not disable the audio controls like it currently does, when that sensor screen is up, you cannot mute the radio using the steering wheel.

This is a completely separate issue. The sensors are going to be alerting anyway during the time I'm talking about. I'm just proposing adding information to the current alert. The other systems the proximity warning system interact with during the alert and how they interact with them are different issues entirely.

I think the sensors read just fine up to close distances presuming there isn't a situation like Saghost noted. My car is in the process of some serious sensor diagnosis, and was told that it was properly calibrated and accurately reads distances from 20 some inches down to a few inches with near-perfect accuracy. I got the impression that the sensors are usually off by a few inches, and mine was a little more accurate than average. I think that's why they stop giving the distance in inches when you get close. It's the same reason the car computer on pretty much any ICE stops giving you estimated "Distance Until Empty" when the fuel level gets really low: there's a high penalty penalty for being wrong and without proper calibration there's no guarantee the values read from the sensors are accurate enough.