Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Stop Sensor Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get a stop sensor error when the car is wet (raining). The right front sensor comes on as I am slowing to a stop. You can see in pictures there are no objects near the front right section of the car. Has anyone else experienced this? My car is an 85w model S with autopilot features built in (purchased 9/29/14). Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some pictures

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,273
  • IMG_0661.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 913
Could be that one of your ultrasonic sensors on the front bumper are dirty or has something stuck to it. Try wiping off all 4 of the sensors in the bumper with a soft cloth like a microfiber cloth and see if the error goes away. Over about 10 miles an hour the normal distance ultrasonic sensors turn off so if you start to go the error will go away as you drive. Then when you stop again, the fouled sensor will thing that everything is bouncing back immediately like your touching something. If that doesn't fix it, you could have a bad sensor. Relatively easy to replace and something that the local service center would have parts for in stock.

Driving home tonight in my P85D I was getting the same warnings. As it was annoying to hear the chimes I turned them off, however kept getting the visual warnings in the top display which was distracting. There does not seem to be a method to turn off the parking sensors to stop the visual warnings. When I got home I checked the front and the sensors were covered in ice. Still it would be nice to be able to turn the warnings off totally especially in winter conditions.

In my case, I brought this to the attention of Tesla Service, they inspected my sensors but told me it was a software glitch and that they are working for a software update soon. My Ultrasonic sensors also go off randomly in empty intersections even in dry weather, little bit annoying but hopefully they roll something out soon.

Or it could be sensors covered by the elements as others have pointed out.

In my case, I brought this to the attention of Tesla Service, they inspected my sensors but told me it was a software glitch and that they are working for a software update soon. My Ultrasonic sensors also go off randomly in empty intersections even in dry weather, little bit annoying but hopefully they roll something out soon.

Or it could be sensors covered by the elements as others have pointed out.

What annoys me is that Tesla does not acknowledge the issues with official "Case Numbers". Without this you really don't know if the issue was actually reported upwards or not. Any subsequent owners that experience the same issue could then be provided with the past case number along with an ETA on a fix.

I have a new P85+ with the autopilot HW and this has been an issue since day-one. I've been told since 9/29/14 that this will be resolved with the new software for the new ultrasonic soon. I even have issues with objects too close on the sides triggering "front" STOP warnings. Hope it is resolved soon...

I just ran an errand with my P85D and per the following picture, the right parking distance sensor went off when I was stopped at a traffic light with no other cars next to me on my right. The car was clean and the weather was clear. This is annoying, does anyone know when this is targeted to be fixed as I assume from the postings that it is happening to all cars with the Auto Pilot additional sensors?
IMG_0094.JPG

I just ran an errand with my P85D and per the following picture, the right parking distance sensor went off when I was stopped at a traffic light with no other cars next to me on my right. The car was clean and the weather was clear. This is annoying, does anyone know when this is targeted to be fixed as I assume from the postings that it is happening to all cars with the Auto Pilot additional sensors?
View attachment 68595

Looks cold out @ -6C...maybe a thin layer of ice (not visible)?

I have experienced the same right front sensor error since my P85 was delivered. I have similar photos where the sensor chimes to stop, but there is no obstruction, even in dry conditions. I filed a "note" as instructed by the manual, but you don't get an acknowledgement. I have not reported this to the Service Center yet.

Updated 1/9: The 6.1 update now shows the three forward sensors separately. I can see that the right one is not functioning consistently. Sometimes it works and shows the distance the same as the other two. Other times the display does not show that sensor's distance estimate at all. The good news is that the erroneous STOP red display has ended entirely.

Last edited:
@drsaab
That sounds great with the upgrade. Like the rest of you I have the Autopilot sensors. I get a stop signal pulling in the garage when there is nothing in front and the garage door frame about 12" away. I hope this fixes it. There has definitely been a problem.
On another note, is there a way to force the software upgrade download, or do I have to wait until it prompts me. It's a type A thing.

This update will separate the side sensors. They go through my one car garage door accurately. If I'm too fast it may say stop and correct itself after a second. But at slow speeds the side of the garage door frame stays white color on the screen for the 2 side sensors. Works fine.

Had this happen to me when I was in a black ice situation and therefore driving 4mph down an unsalted road at 2am. The sensors went off and freaked me out a little because I thought I was going to hit something even though I couldn't see anything there.

Turns out there was like an inch thick of ice that had accumulated on the front bumper from the freezing rain. I couldn't even pry it off with my hands! Obviously different from your situation though :p