Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS reading your Text messages?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gocken2

Model S: P6931
Jan 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I have an android phone and my wife has a windows. When her phone is connected to the car it will read her incoming text messages and even allow her to reply using the voice commands in the car. My android does not do this and I haven't been able to figure it out. Does anyone here know how to get the android phones to work with the MS on reading texts?

I have an android phone and my wife has a windows. When her phone is connected to the car it will read her incoming text messages and even allow her to reply using the voice commands in the car. My android does not do this and I haven't been able to figure it out. Does anyone here know how to get the android phones to work with the MS on reading texts?

Siri will read my texts over the BT audio connection, maybe Android has a similar function.

If I am connected via BT, does Siri work with the steering wheel buttons?

Unfortunately not. You can just blindly hold the phone's home button for a few seconds to activate it. Or if you have the phone plugged in and charging, and have enabled the feature, you can say "Hey Siri" and it will activate by voice. But it must be plugged in for this to work, it's not available while operating off the battery.

*feels old remembering when Elon promised this feature for Model S*

S-Voice on Samsung phones will do this, but you have to select the phone for audio first on the touchscreen.

There's a lot of room for updates to the infotainment / phone pairing capabilities...

My wife's Traverse will allow her iPhone to pre-empt the (non-Bluetooth) in-car audio when it has something important to say - for example, when Waze wants to say "police reported ahead", her air conditioner will drop to low, radio will lower volume, you hear the phone's message. The only annoying part is that the car insists on finishing with "call ended". The Tesla won't do this, and I wish it would.

Her Traverse also can trigger Siri and S-Voice by holding down the voice command button and saying "bluetooth voice", at which point you can tell it to read messages, call someone, search the web, etc.

My friend's Buick does this with any old phone. I think it must have something to do with the car's entertainment system. In addition to "speak to text" he gets a few "canned" responses on the touchscreen (stuff like "I'm driving and will get back to you later") that he just has to tap and send.

My wife's Traverse will allow her iPhone to pre-empt the (non-Bluetooth) in-car audio when it has something important to say - for example, when Waze wants to say "police reported ahead", her air conditioner will drop to low, radio will lower volume, you hear the phone's message. The only annoying part is that the car insists on finishing with "call ended". The Tesla won't do this, and I wish it would.

My S does this. I have Waze set to "alerts only" and it will pause Slacker and announce the alert. From the car, it looks like I get a 1-2 second phone call.

Go to Waze, bottom left button, Gear, Sound, "Prefer Bluetooth". After switching this on, it worked as you described in my Tesla from my iPhone 6. Even when playing Tesla audio (slacker, fm), the iPhone Waze app will interrupt with alerts. It acts like a phone call briefly.

Android or Apple?

I don't use Waze often, but I use google maps and they (through Android) never announce turns/etc. through the car speakers.
Go to Waze, bottom left button, Gear, Sound, "Prefer Bluetooth". After switching this on, it worked as you described in my Tesla from my iPhone 6. Even when playing Tesla audio (slacker, fm), the iPhone Waze app will interrupt with alerts. It acts like a phone call briefly.

This. I use a 6+.

I might have to try waze on my way home with Android to see if it does the same. I know Google maps also has a "play navigation through bluetooth" or something like that. And the only time I hear it, is when I'm on a bluetooth based call... otherwise it never shuts slacker off to play directions.

I might have to try waze on my way home with Android to see if it does the same. I know Google maps also has a "play navigation through bluetooth" or something like that. And the only time I hear it, is when I'm on a bluetooth based call... otherwise it never shuts slacker off to play directions.

The key is for Waze (or any other app) to send out an "alert". For instance, if you had music playing through your own phone at the time and the directions just played over the music, I wouldn't expect this to be heard in the car unless you had the phone tuned in on the media player. However, if the music would be paused to reduced volume, I would imagine the phone treats the nav's audio "layer" as something above the music and this could then pipe through the car as a stereo.

At least, this is how it worked on a Nissan Altima rental last year in our limited testing before giving up on Sat radio and just using Pandora.

Hmmm, odd. I'll have to try it out. I use Android, and it's never done that.