Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norway article claims: 'BMW: Elon Musk uses us for publicity purposes'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using google translation, the article says there is no plan by BMW to buy parts from Tesla, and that the mention of such a negotiation met BMW with bafflement.
Original article: http://www.hegnar.no/motor/artikkel527628.ece

Is there anyone from Norway who could help asses the reliability of the publication itself, and perhaps point out if there was any mistranslation?

From the article (again using google translate):
"Elon Musk said in an interview that Tesla is in talks with BMW about a collaboration on battery technology and charging stations. The statement evokes amazement in Munich."
"...Well-informed sources say BMW, according to the German online magazine that in this industry speaks practically everyone with everyone, so "informal discussions" with Tesla mean little. "

Another question, is if this is true, what exactly is going on here? are BMW getting cold feet? or was there misunderstanding from the beginning on the part of Tesla about the intentions of BMW?

Using google translation, the article says there is no plan by BMW to buy parts from Tesla, and that the mention of such a negotiation met BMW with bafflement.
Original article: http://www.hegnar.no/motor/artikkel527628.ece

Is there anyone from Norway who could help asses the reliability of the publication itself, and perhaps point out if there was any mistranslation?

From the article (again using google translate):
"Elon Musk said in an interview that Tesla is in talks with BMW about a collaboration on battery technology and charging stations. The statement evokes amazement in Munich."
"...Well-informed sources say BMW, according to the German online magazine that in this industry speaks practically everyone with everyone, so "informal discussions" with Tesla mean little. "

Another question, is if this is true, what exactly is going on here? are BMW getting cold feet? or was there misunderstanding from the beginning on the part of Tesla about the intentions of BMW?
Tsla price had decreased with the report while bow went up 5% in two days with the announcement. Who used who?

Quick translation:

BMW: - Elon Musk uses us for publicity purposes
Elon Musk said in an interview that Tesla is in talks with BMW about a collaboration on battery technology and charging stations. The statement puzzles Munich.

According to the German WirtschaftsWoche, there are absolutely no negotiations about a concrete collaboration between BMW and Tesla.

- BMW has absolutely no interest in buying parts from Tesla, says BMW when WirtschaftsWoche confronts the company with the statements of Elon Musk that Tesla is in talks with BMW about a collaboration on battery technology and charging stations.

Well-informed BMW-sources say, according to the German online magazine, that in this industry practically everyone speaks with everyone, so "informal discussions" with Tesla mean little.

It was announced in October that Mercedes and Toyota sold off Tesla. Munich suspects the electric vehicle manufacturer now wants to adorn themselves with the BMW brand and claims that "Musk uses us for publicity purposes."

- - - Updated - - -

Also, when it comes to Hegnar.no. It is a reputable financial reporting site, but they do have an anti-Tesla bias. I can't see this bias expressed in the article, but it has likely manifested in choosing to publish this article. The standards for printing anything that criticizes Tesla Motors is pretty low. And they know that any article with "Tesla" or "Elon Musk" in the title get lots of clicks, so they do really scrape the bottom of the barrel for articles to write.

As to whether WirtschaftsWoche is reliable - I have no idea.

Here is a link to the original article: Kapitalbeteiligung ausgeschlossen: BMW plant keine Zusammenarbeit mit Tesla - Auto - Unternehmen - Wirtschaftswoche

Also, I now see a parallel discussion in the short term stock movement thread, on the same topic.

- - - Updated - - -

As it appears right now I can think of two possible explanations: one is that due to cultural / personality differences between Elon and the German car maker, there was a misunderstanding of the intentions of BMW, or they got cold feet for whatever reason. I'm more inclined to believe the former: Not much has changes in the last few days besides the interview and media attention itself (which could be the deal breaker).

The idea that Elon would knowingly lie about cooperation makes little sense to me since it would result in BMW just deny such cooperation, which would backfire.

Hard to know exactly, but by looking at Elon's GF negotiations techniques, he may often go extreme to get someone's attention. May be, BMW is a tool to get someone else on board? All recent news suggest is that Tesla has been active at looking for big companies to use Tesla technology for batteries and superchargers so that it adds up to their already huge advantage and forces others to join them later.

But based on the BMW comments... I mean seriously? No technological advantage... wow. Amazing.

I think the claim that Tesla has not technological advantage is just BMW using Tesla for marketing purposes. Mercedes is on record saying they couldn't match Tesla technology (which is, by the way, the reason that the B-Class uses Tesla technology) and if you look at i3 and i8 you can't help but think that a bit of Tesla technology wouldn't have harmed over in the BMW camp either...

Here's the original article in German:

Nach dem Ausstieg von Daimler und Toyota bei Tesla im Oktober wolle sich Musk offenbar mit dem Namen BMW schmücken, vermuten die Münchner: „Musk benutzt uns für PR-Zwecke.” BMW könne derzeit nicht erkennen, wie das Unternehmen von Tesla profitieren könnte, denn der junge Elektroautohersteller habe in keinem Bereich einen technischen Vorsprung.

Elektro-Mobilität: BMW plant keine Zusammenarbeit mit Tesla - Auto - Unternehmen - Wirtschaftswoche

BMW has no interest whatsoever in a cooperation with Tesla and is indeed thinking Tesla/Musk was and is abusing them for PR purposes (hinting at a non-existing cooperation).

That pretty much should close the door on any speculation between the two.

Here's the original article in German:

Elektro-Mobilität: BMW plant keine Zusammenarbeit mit Tesla - Auto - Unternehmen - Wirtschaftswoche

BMW has no interest whatsoever in a cooperation with Tesla and is indeed thinking Tesla/Musk was and is abusing them for PR purposes (hinting at a non-existing cooperation).

That pretty much should close the door on any speculation between the two.

exactly. even a Tesla Spokesperson said that Elon's chat with BMW was "casual" and there have been no serious "formal talks". so don't expect anything to come out of this. it's just media hype that gets whisper'd down the lane until the story reads "BMW BUYS TESLA" or some other made up non-factual crap.

I think the claim that Tesla has not technological advantage is just BMW using Tesla for marketing purposes. Mercedes is on record saying they couldn't match Tesla technology (which is, by the way, the reason that the B-Class uses Tesla technology) and if you look at i3 and i8 you can't help but think that a bit of Tesla technology wouldn't have harmed over in the BMW camp either...

It cuts both ways. Exaggeration by omission is an Elon Musk forte. It's unfortunate that journalists who question or interview him don't have the necessary knowledge to pin him down on the details. Similarly, if BMW say Tesla has no technological advantage, then a knowledgeable journalist should be able to jump on that and ask about the energy densities, costs of their batteries and charging rates.