Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crash Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How the car tells it has been in an accident and shuts off the high voltage system. Most cars have an inertia switch but I could find nothing about them on this car. I have found information that there are two crash sensors on the car but cannot find locations or a description of the sensors.

How the car tells it has been in an accident and shuts off the high voltage system. Most cars have an inertia switch but I could find nothing about them on this car. I have found information that there are two crash sensors on the car but cannot find locations or a description of the sensors.

It has accel/impact sensors right and left in: doors (these are pressure impact), 'B' and 'C' pillars, and 2 up front (pretty sure attached to front bumper carrier), all these feed the PSRCM unit (a Delphi unit by the way) behind and below the dash cubby. The PSRCM decides when to blow the battery disconnect, in addition to setting off airbags/pretensioner.
This disconnect is for the 12v battery. Since 12v is used to hold large relay for the main pack - when it goes - all power to main pack is automatically shut off.
Pretty sure because the pyrotechnic battery disconnect has a note that says - replace after collision resulting in airbag and/or pretensioner deployment.

Jason, where did you get the information regarding the crash sensor locations? Most modern vehicles use a single point sensing system typically located where the floor pan meets the firewall (at least for frontal impact sensing and deployment of the steering wheel and dashboard airbags). I would be pleasantly surprised if the Model S utilizes a distributed sensing system.