Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealerships are awesome and protect their customers... Not!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never had a pleasant car buying experience until I bought my Model S, so I'm definitely no fan of car dealers, but to be far, this was a used car dealership.

Used car salesmen are pretty much the slimiest sales people on earth. The lowest of the low. They make normal car dealers look almost decent.

Just to remind everyone not to lump all dealerships into one category, there are many very honest and family owned dealerships that take care of there customers. Repeat business is very important and if you are operating in a small community the word gets out very fast. Now having said that I love the Tesla business model and do not think you can compare the two. In any business you will find the good and the bad.

Just to remind everyone not to lump all dealerships into one category, there are many very honest and family owned dealerships that take care of there customers. Repeat business is very important and if you are operating in a small community the word gets out very fast. Now having said that I love the Tesla business model and do not think you can compare the two. In any business you will find the good and the bad.
I'm sure there are good honest dealers out there somewhere.

However, all six cars I bought before Tesla were from different dealers and everyone pulled all sorts of crap tactics during the sale (one even refused to let me use a calculator, back before smart phones). Every one of them did a hard sell of Extended warrantees, fabric/leather protection, etc. These were dealers that have been in San Diego for years, so I'm not sure the word of mouth thing is really hurting them.

I've never had a pleasant car buying experience until I bought my Model S, so I'm definitely no fan of car dealers, but to be far, this was a used car dealership.

Used car salesmen are pretty much the slimiest sales people on earth. The lowest of the low. They make normal car dealers look almost decent.
I had a great experience selling my 2003 Acura MDX to Carmax. But yeah, in general I agree with you that independent used car dealers such as this jerk are the slime of the earth.

Last edited: