Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla LIED to us! (I maxed out a dyno in my car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to dyno my car!

Tesla Official rated 416 HP at the Motor's Crank shaft
Power at the wheels 436 HP!

my battery was at 80% charge, 24ºC, Alt - 1158m (don't think altitude affects EVs tho)

Video coming soon! just uploading it to YT

some things need to be corrected,

1) the tech couldn't attach a sensor to the motor's crank so "engine rpm" has to be recalculated as he took the wheel RPM (so multiply the RPM by 1000, then by 9.71 *approx*)
2) the dyno maxed out at 2000 lbs·ft but math from the specs indicates 4301 lbs·ft at the wheels (should be more in real life)
3) the horsepower and torque number is inaccurate as the car has so much power it smoked the tires on the dyno's drum so the wheels were not spinning 1:1 for the computer to measure accurately, basically it has slightly more power than what the computer thinks it has.

2013 Tesla Model S P85 Dyno r.jpg

Loading the P85 onto the Dyno

Dyno RUN! x2!

Found another angle! (Simark Control's go pro camera)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the rollin' coal diesel truck guys will have a change of heart when the figure out the "sissy" electric Tesla makes 2,000 lb-ft bone stock! :cool:

so cool
2,000 lbs torque, really?
so cool!

actually no, 2000 lbs·ft is the dyno's maximum sensor value, the car is putting closer to 4300+ lbs·ft of torque to the wheels.

the car is putting down so much force because of the reduction gear's torque multiplication the dyno cant even read the power.

actually no, 2000 lbs·ft is the dyno's maximum sensor value, the car is putting closer to 4300+ lbs·ft of torque to the wheels.

the car is putting down so much force because of the reduction gear's torque multiplication the dyno cant even read the power.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that number. Tesla claims the motor is 443 ft-lbs, and the gear ratio is 9.73:1, so indeed, the torque at the wheels should be 443 * 9.73 = 4310 ft-lbs. But, but... really? 4310 ft-lbs? That's, like, almost a mile-lb. My head is all 'splodey.

Here is the comparison chart of all the car's dynoed at the show, not bad for something the size of a watermelon

(Bad photo i know, it was super bright out and the TV had a glossy screen)

View attachment 53493

Isn't this a bit apples and oranges? All the other cars have had their torque values corrected for crank values whilst the Model S is the only one displaying wheel torque.

Isn't this a bit apples and oranges? All the other cars have had their torque values corrected for crank values whilst the Model S is the only one displaying wheel torque.

You dyno in whatever gear is direct (1:1) on an ICE, so I'd say it's comparable. What is not comparable is if the dyno operator applied weather corrections (temp, humidity and barometric pressure) to the numbers. Those should not be applied for an electric car and would inflate the numbers slightly. Don't know if they were applied in this case?