Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

torque vectoring according to Mitsubishi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll quote the one comment posted at that link:
I’m confused by this article, none of it makes any sense. The in-wheel electric motor is only a concept and not a reality at this point for cars. The current i-MiEV has a standard electric motor mounted between the rearwheels using a ‘transmission’ of sorts that connects the driveshafts to the wheels. The video included in this article is from 2006! All I can say is CrapTastic reporting by a staff writer.
Concur.

There are other mfgrs and concept cars playing with independent motors for each wheel, but that doesn't have to mean in-wheel hub motors. Downside of hub-mounted motors is the increased unsprung mass (out with the wheel/tire, not mounted on the frame), which is detrimental to handling.

I'll quote the one comment posted at that link:

Concur.

There are other mfgrs and concept cars playing with independent motors for each wheel, but that doesn't have to mean in-wheel hub motors. Downside of hub-mounted motors is the increased unsprung mass (out with the wheel/tire, not mounted on the frame), which is detrimental to handling.

Ok I only wanted to open a debate about this matter.