Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two bent rims and nail in tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at my SC for installation of the parking sensors a few days ago and as I was getting some vibrations at speed I had them check my 21" Tesla rims. Front and rear on the driver's side were bent. Still not sure about what I'll do but for now I'll put on the 19" rims.

Next day I parked at the airport for a one day trip to Atlanta. When I returned and started the car I got a serious low pressure warning. I always carry a tire pressure gauge so I immediately measured all four. It was the right front. Managed to find a gas station near the airport to get the tire to the right pressure.

Surprisingly there's been no pressure loss for 24 hours but today when washing the car I found the culprit -- a nail in the tire. Taking it to a local tire place to have a plug put in. Bummer.

Not a good few days for tires and wheels.

You got the parking sensor retrofit? Did you determine the front camera mod you developed was not good enough?

I recently replaced my 21 inch wheels with the 19 inch Tsportline wheels. They look almost the same as the 21 inch wheels.

You got the parking sensor retrofit? Did you determine the front camera mod you developed was not good enough?

I recently replaced my 21 inch wheels with the 19 inch Tsportline wheels. They look almost the same as the 21 inch wheels.

PM me about the parking sensors.

Having had the sensors for several days I can say that the front sensors really do not inspire confidence about curb protection during head-in parking situations. For example, today I parked at a Starbucks with those low concrete barriers in most of the parking spaces. The barrier was located about a 18" from the curb. The front parking sensors was fooled by the barrier-curb challenge and I actually pulled about a foot over one of the barriers.

Fortunately the underside of the car cleared the barrier, but if it had been two inches higher some damage would have been done to the front diffuser. As I was trying to test the front parking sensors I did not have the front camera on. But with it on I would have seen the barrier and not pulled in over it.

So the front parking sensors have made me even more convinced the the front camera is a necessity. Also, the front sensor graphics do not show on the touchscreen, only on the left side of the driver's LCD panel.

The rear sensors are terrific and with the rear camera one would have to be totally inattentive to do damage to the rear of the car in parking situations. So the camera/sensor combination raises parking security to a whole new level.

Also, got a plug in the damaged tire today, so all is well with that.

Last edited: