Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question About Extended Nappa Leather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking delivery of a Model S 85kwh on Saturday, and I have one question to ease a worry I've been having. I have the leather seats (not performance), but I didn't get the extended leather. Though I know the areas that it covers, I'm curious as to what is there if you do not order that option. Is it synthetic, or is it a completely different material?

Also, I'm brand new here, so sorry if this has already been asked. I did search, but the forum posts that the search turned up were not my exact question.

Someone more experienced can answer your question, and I had the same concerns. However, I noticed that the cars in the Houston Gallery did not have the option when I test drove, and looking at the available inventory list, it seems like less than 1 in 10 select that option, at least based on the list that was shared with me. My conclusion is that I have never seen it and likely won't miss it when mine is delivered.

I'm taking delivery of a Model S 85kwh on Saturday, and I have one question to ease a worry I've been having. I have the leather seats (not performance), but I didn't get the extended leather. Though I know the areas that it covers, I'm curious as to what is there if you do not order that option. Is it synthetic, or is it a completely different material?

Also, I'm brand new here, so sorry if this has already been asked. I did search, but the forum posts that the search turned up were not my exact question.

I would say if you have the option to go into the store. I went into the store and the product on the non-extended for the dash felt and looked like leather so I was very pleased with the material. The part on the door didn't feel like leather, but it didn't feel like cheap plastic either. I cannot remember what it felt like but I can tell you I decided then and there it wasn't worth the cost.

I would highly suggest if you can to go out to the store, even if its a bit of a drive. As they say you will be stuck with it so...

I have the nappa leather package, and can confirm that the top dash is synthetic. It has to be so as too much direct sun will destroy real leather. All other parts are leather. Pretty nice looking and excellent quality

I chose not to get the extended leather (I have performance seats). Figured those surfaces would be heavy wear areas and am hoping the non-leather material holds up better then leather would and is easier to clean. The non-leather material still felt good.

-m

I have the nappa leather package, and can confirm that the top dash is synthetic. It has to be so as too much direct sun will destroy real leather. All other parts are leather. Pretty nice looking and excellent quality

I swear there used to be a picture of the top dash in the leather upgrade pics, but it's not there now.

$2500 seems pricey for just the "Lower instrument panel", "Armrests (door and console)" and "Driver airbag cover"

Edit: I knew it was there before, Pic of the old description here: Extended Nappa Leather Trim, It seem like they should reduce the price substantially, since they took out the dashboard, which was the largest area.

Last edited:
Yes, I wonder what I actually are paying for. When I ordered the description clearly said leather dash and instrument panel with a picture of this. Now the picture of the dash is gone :confused:

Skjermbilde 2014-03-15 kl. 23.37.44.png

Yes PBP, but in Denmark and Norway we do not have that sun problem :tongue: Can you clarify what you mean with all other parts?? Lower door card, lower center rest?

Our VIN 13,3xx-something P85+ with all options came with fake leather. I am 95% sure of that. Only the seats are leather. I haven't done a full autopsy yet but it looks and feels like rubber.

Tesla can get away with a $40,000-car interior on a $120,000 car for a couple more years but it will not last. Porsches and AMGs in this price range make it look unintentionally minimalistic. Our 2013 ML63 interior is what I would expect a $100,000 car to offer. Right now it's Tesla's only competitive disadvantage.

I am hoping that when Model E comes out, Model S/X will graduate to the true premium/luxury car segment.

Having said that, this is the best car we have ever had. And... we will trade that same ML63 for the Signature X regardless of how much plastic and rubber Tesla stuffs into that thing. ;)

Yes PBP, but in Denmark and Norway we do not have that sun problem :tongue: Can you clarify what you mean with all other parts?? Lower door card, lower center rest?

In my car with extended nappa leather all interior except for the upper dash is leather. Steering wheel, center armrests, lower dash, door panels all is leather, and feels very nice.