Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Nappa Leather Trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Swedish version of Tesla’s Design Studio there is a fourth bullet point (listed as no. 3 on the Swedish site) that says “Nedre lister”. And I can’t see a corresponding bullet point listed on the Norwegian or the US version of the Design Studio… If I were to venture a guess, then I would think those would be the two ‘dividers’ that run along the floor between the two front seats. But anyways, it would surprise me if your local Tesla representative wouldn’t be able to get back to you with an answer if you contact her/him. :wink:

swedish.png

Image source: Model S Designstudio | Tesla Motors (the Swedish one)

norwegian.png

Image source: Model S Design-studio | Tesla Motors (the Norwegian one)

Last edited:
Thank you. Believe me, I've tried to get one clear answer from Tesla on this "Extended nappa throughout" versus "Extended leather nappa trim". I have also noticed the term "lower lists" on the Swedish side. It is quite clear that the majority do not care so much if it is leather or synthetic. But I do ;) And the quality of the synthetic leather must be top quality since few people see the difference. I think I have it clear to me where it is leather. Not sure though if it's leather on top of the dash. Well... in about a months time I will receive my Grey P85 and looking forward to it :biggrin:

As I understand it, the only way to get real leather on top of the dash is to equip the car with the Extended Nappa Leather Trim option. I you don’t, then it will be synthetic leather (or pleather or whatever it’s called…).

Yes, I chose Extended Nappa Leather Trim. Maybe it´s leather on the base of the center armrest too. Had been nice. Anyway I´m pretty sure I will be satisfied with the car regardless :) For some weeks now cars delivered to Norway have had electric folding mirrors even with the old Tech-package witch did not include them. Hope it´s not only a production fault but that they was out of old mirrors :) If so I would be really happy :biggrin:

I have got the extended nappa option and the piece covering the top of the dash is very different in appearance and texture than the plush real leather on the lower dash, steering wheel, center arm rest, and door arm rests. I'm wondering if the piece covering the top of the dash is synthetic. It doesn't smell like leather.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 44827View attachment 44826

1st pic is the top of dash faux-leather(?) and 2nd pic is the lower dash nice leather. Is the top piece actually leather?

"Invalid Attachment specified"! Can´t see your pictures ;) Maybe the top of the dash is treated with something? If you see the description of the Extended nappa option, one of the pictures shows the upper dash.

I have got the extended nappa option and the piece covering the top of the dash is very different in appearance and texture than the plush real leather on the lower dash, steering wheel, center arm rest, and door arm rests. I'm wondering if the piece covering the top of the dash is synthetic. It doesn't smell like leather. /…
…/ Maybe the top of the dash is treated with something? If you see the description of the Extended nappa option, one of the pictures shows the upper dash.
Yeah. With that picture and the bullet point “Dash and instrument panel”, it seems kind of weird if that was not leather…

uk.png

Images source: Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors (the UK one)

(some more) @commasign:

If I remember correctly one owner who received his car posted here on TMC somewhere about discovering when taking delivery that the interior trim on the front passenger door on his car was in another color than what he had ordered. I think that trim piece was black, when the rest of the interior was grey (This was a while back). If it’s possible that something like that can 1) get mixed up & 2) pass final inspection and quality control, then I guess it’s not outside of the realm of possibility that a black non-leather top dash piece gets mixed up with real leather one and also ends up being shipped to the customer… Not saying that is the case with your car though (of course)…

Well, I have not received the car yet. Just wanted to try to confirm if the "Extended Nappa Leather Trim" package does have real leather on top of the dashboard or not. A Tesla representative told me the Extended Nappa option have leather the same places the signature cars do. She also said yes, the dashboard do have nappa leather. We´ll see in april :)

IMG_9496.jpeg
IMG_1639.JPG

I emailed pics of my dash to Tesla service. Will see what they say. Reattaching smaller images for reference here.

@commasign:

If I remember correctly one owner who received his car posted here on TMC somewhere about discovering when taking delivery that the interior trim on the front passenger door on his car was in another color than what he had ordered. I think that trim piece was black, when the rest of the interior was grey (This was a while back). If it’s possible that something like that can 1) get mixed up & 2) pass final inspection and quality control, then I guess it’s not outside of the realm of possibility that a black non-leather top dash piece gets mixed up with real leather one and also ends up being shipped to the customer… Not saying that is the case with your car though (of course)…

I don't have my car home right now as its getting wrapped; however, this pic shows the whole dash top and bottom on my car (with extended NL)
Its probably not high enough quality and not close enough but if no one else has answered in the next day or so I'll take a closer pic when I get it back.

Photo 2-28-2014, 16 29 00.jpg

Tesla replied and said it was normal for the top-of-dash and lower dash pieces to have different texture. I guess that makes sense since (as far as I know) the top piece is black no matter what color interior you choose.

Can we then conclude there is nappa on top of dash?

Hope the improved seats also minimize the "waves or wrinkles" (in lack of a better word) on the leather seat :)