Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less than stellar initial delivery impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me first give all credit to the professionals at the Highland Park, IL location- they were nothing short of accommodating to my friend. There never seemed to be any question that issues would be dealt with correctly and immediately, and from what I saw they were. I was along for this complete buying process with my friend who took delivery of his grey P85 a month ago.

Here's what was somewhat disappointing. He asked to be called when the truck carrier arrived with his car, and most people certainly don't do so. Let's see: first week of February, harshest midwest winter in decades, and the car comes across country in a non-enclosed carrier. Of course, his car was on the bottom row, and absolutely trashed from the road spray. Six or seven $100,000 cars out in the open from CA to IL in Feb.- seriously?

We were told that some are shipped enclosed carrier, some not. OK, you have to wonder why, but it's here. It just needs a thorough wash/detailing.

Gets better.

I'm looking at the car closer, and something grabbed my eye. Wow- a nice brand new 21" wheel is deeply gouged. Not just scratched paint. Ouch. How does that happen? Walk around to the other side, whoa- another one. That was it, but maybe it's good that not everybody sees how their cars arrive in some cases. Seems like room for improvement here, yes? Again, Highland Park took care of everything quickly and professionally, and the car is stunning in every way.

IMG_8213.JPG
IMG_8215.JPG
IMG_8216.JPG

First of all congrats on getting your car delivered! Why is your car half grey and half white? :)

Wow - it looks like the wheels need replacement. I'm sorry this happens to you. No damage to the body itself?

With this, Tesla would get all their customers declining to take new car deliveries if they got delivered like this in Japan. We Japanese are all perfectionists in some way :)

image.jpg
Could be Tesla is working on some groundbreaking new car delivery platform/method, but for now we will be enduring the rather primitive-seeming car carrier semi truck. Cars arrive filthy, on a train, truck, ferry or whatever and every car seller has a wash & detail team. My nephew works full time for a very small car dealer, all he does there is wash cars. Damage, of course, is often an unfortunate side effect of transport, for anything being moved about on our roads. Glad they took care of it. Seems the situation reflects badly on an individual truck transport co. & driver and quite the opposite on Tesla.

yes, I stopped on the freeway to take pictures of a truckload of . . . well, you know :biggrin:

Sweet. I know there are quite a few around here (the TMC) who got theirs like that, right in their own driveway, before or not near enough to a Service Center. But can you stack 7 of 'em in there?!

Btw the driver of that semi sure had a 'narrow' view of the world with a model S riding on his head.

I'll tell ya what... I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but you kind of asked for this experience when you asked to see the car prior to delivery. Wheels scuff, scratch and bend, cars get dirty, $$!? happens. It is then TESLA's job to ensure that they bring the car up to showroom condition for you. If this was a panel with missing paint I would understand, but a wheel is a wheel. Think about how much less headache and heartburn your friend would have had if he just chilled out and went to get his car when it was ready...

Just my .02

Transport is risky and that is why drivers have insurance. I agree it should have been enclosed, but if all it needed was 2 new wheels which are basically plug and play, I think your all good.

I hope he/she enjoys their new TESLA!

Last edited:
Transport is risky and that is why drivers have insurance. I agree it should have been enclosed, but if all it needed was 2 new wheels which are basically plug and play, I think your all good.

Yeah, replacing wheels is not a big deal. I'd be worried about being blasted with salt, but they had the front completely covered. And they're taking care of it, so there's probably not much to worry about here.

That said, I bought my last car from CA when I lived back on the east coast. It was a rare model I couldn't get locally for a reasonable cost, and there were plenty of them on the west coast. I insisted it be transported enclosed carrier, and it was 1/3 the cost of my Tesla. Best decision I ever made. Looked like it stepped right off the showroom floor. That was delivered right to my door, though. Tesla knows they can do quality control at the SC, and replacing the odd wheel every now and again probably saves them a good chunk of money in transport fees.

Our model S was delivered by enclosed carrier and after the experience has its own disadvantages as well. Had to watch the driver force himself between the wall of the carrier and the paint of the car to get around it. And then had to do a dukes of hazard, head first into the drivers front window to get in. Made me cringe watching it. :eek:

Our model S was delivered by enclosed carrier and after the experience has its own disadvantages as well. Had to watch the driver force himself between the wall of the carrier and the paint of the car to get around it. And then had to do a dukes of hazard, head first into the drivers front window to get in. Made me cringe watching it. :eek:

Was there no side door? I've had 2 cars delivered straight to my house by trailer and both times the truck had doors on the side to access cars.