Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The two features I use most...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
1) The "New Posts" search link. At several other vBulletin based sites I use there is a very prominant "View New Posts" link across the top tool bar. One click and there they are. AFAIK it's not a difficult thing to do with the software and, if necessary, I can even ask exactly how it's done if the site owner doesn't know how already. In any case, I would really appreciate the convenience of such a button.

2)"Mark Forums As Read"--not quite as big of a deal, but similar to #1. Once I 'view new posts' and read the ones that interest me I then want to wipe the slate clean. This, again, requires accessing a totally different dropdown menu. While I think most people use other VBulletin based forums and probably know how to find such things, it's a tool used multiple times daily by forum frequenters.

Give me the choice and I'd immediately ditch the "User CP", "Calendar" (does ANY forum actually use that feature?), and "Members" buttons and replace with the two above. If buttons are for frequent use and convenience then why not put the links/features that are actually most used in the most prominant and convenient positions?

Not a deal breaker, but a suggestion that would make the site a bit more user friendly for all.

There is a "new posts" button but it is at the bottom of the page instead of the top. It took me a while to find it too. There is also a button for new posts in the last 24 hours too but I am not even sure where that is .....

Once you go through the new posts it marks the forum as read for you. But I think that you do actuallu have to read them all for that to happen. Agreed that I would like to mark a forum or thread as "read" and/or "not interested"

There is a "new posts" button but it is at the bottom of the page instead of the top. It took me a while to find it too. There is also a button for new posts in the last 24 hours too but I am not even sure where that is .....

Once you go through the new posts it marks the forum as read for you. But I think that you do actuallu have to read them all for that to happen. Agreed that I would like to mark a forum or thread as "read" and/or "not interested"

Bottom of the page is even less useful than under the search menu...you have to scroll the page to find it.

And I see that there is a "mark as read"...if you scroll down to the bottom of a page of a thread you're reading.

And yea, I realize that if you read all the threads it marks them as read, but I tend to not read all the threads, only the ones of interest to me...general EV stuff, Model S stuff, etc.

Like I said, the functionality is there, it's just not quite as accessible/convenient as a lazy butt like me would like!:redface:

wow... I know the basic url for getnew posts on VB forums, so I always just edited the getdaily link and now firefox defaults there. I had no idea the new posts were under search and at the bottom... That's pretty... well... it's dumb.

Not only are they prominent links in out of the way places, but they're placed in areas that don't make too much sense. Under search? Why not under quicklinks with the today's posts link?

Make sure you use this URL, and not the resulting one that ends up in your browser address bar after going to this link. It gets transformed into a search id. So use this:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/search.php?do=getnew
I do use that url and that's great the first time I access the page in a new browser window or tab. But I used tabbed browsing and leave a tap for TMC. When I go back to the tab it would be a nice convenience to be able to quickly click the "view new posts".

And no, it's not a huge deal, I've tried to emphasis that point twice now, this will make the third time. But for NEW users it is a bit of a big deal and for experienced users it's a slight annoyance that is easily remedied. This forum is for feedback on the site and that's all I'm doing. Giving feedback for an improvement, upgrade, convenience that I would appreciate and that I think others would also appreciate and use and make the site ultimately more user friendly and improve the GUI.

As long as you've found the link once, does it matter where it is? It's the browser bookmark I use to get to the forum, usually several times per day. So now it's right on my bookmark bar.

Actually yes it kinda does. If it's a link you click frequently, isn't it better that it's in a convenient place and not buried or in a place where you have to scroll the whole page to get to? Better yet... what about those that DIDN'T find it?

Yup ... I am using that specific link.
efusco (and others) are right though ... we have been using this forum for so long ... and some of the features "you" and/or I use have been found more by ACCIDENT than by good design. Oh well ... I use so many different forums and keeping track of all the differences is INDEED annoying, especially when it comes to formatting in a reply (this site is one of the better ones). If it were an IDEAL world ... :rolleyes:

P.S.: I have one tab in which I use the "NewPosts" link (like TDave says above); but for each new post shown I hold the CTRL- key before clicking on it to open in a new tab, while leaving the original "NewPosts" tab open for later re-use.

Make sure you use this URL, and not the resulting one that ends up in your browser address bar after going to this link. It gets transformed into a search id. So use this:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/search.php?do=getnew

Thanks for the link. I mostly read TMC from my PDA. There's a "Today's Posts" link at the top of the mobile pages, but a direct link is even better.

I only learned about the link under "QuickLinks" on the desktop recently, from this thread.

Thanks for the link. I mostly read TMC from my PDA. There's a "Today's Posts" link at the top of the mobile pages, but a direct link is even better.

I only learned about the link under "QuickLinks" on the desktop recently, from this thread.

Today's posts and New Posts are actually kind of different. New Posts is generally what you'd want though.