Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Facing Child Seats for Hong Kong

How important are Rear Facing Child sets for your Model S order in Hong Kong?

• Never wanted them.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Planned to order. Not bothered that they are not available.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Planned to order. Now seriously inconvenienced that they can't offer them.

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • An absolute requirement, so will now cancel my reservation.

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main reasons I wanted them:

1) I don't think they can be installed later (resale value)
2) Around 20K HKD extra is quite fair to have a 7 seat option
3) It's actually the safest place in the car, according to NCAP (IIRC)
4) On occasions, we will be more than 5 going, and as long as two or more are kid sized, it is so convenient to be a small bus.

So my vote "seriously inconvenienced" although I'm not going to get upset if I cannot have them, just find it weird and must believe it must be a certification issue, local to HK.

Thanks for feedback so far. I'm not sure how many Hong Kong Model S reservation holders on this forum, but 10 replies so far:

30% Never wanted them
60% Seriously inconvenienced
10% Cancelling reservation because of this

That is a lot higher than I thought it would be. I'll forward this on, but please if you have any

Thanks for feedback so far. I'm not sure how many Hong Kong Model S reservation holders on this forum, but 10 replies so far:

30% Never wanted them
60% Seriously inconvenienced
10% Cancelling reservation because of this

That is a lot higher than I thought it would be. I'll forward this on, but please if you have any

That's not a lot of replies. A little disappointing. Mark, what are you going to do about this?

I just called Tesla HK about the 5+2 seat option and they said Transport Department didn't approve this. So there is no chance (at least in the near future) to have this option in HK.

Well, the 'chance' is to get the transport department to approve it.

Does anyone know of any cars approved in Hong Kong that have less-than-full-size seats in the back?

I used to own a Land Rover Discovery with two flip-down seats, but that was a long time ago. Anything more recent?

How about the X5 fold down seats? Don't tell me they were 'full' size!

Thanks. I checked it out. BMW classify them as full adult seats (despite who can actually fit in them safely). Interestingly, the specs for the car (for example X5 xDrive50i) say the approved rear axel load is 3,700lb standard, or 3,850lb with third row of seats. So, a fully loaded car would limit the third row of seats to 75lb per occupant.

Tesla specs are that the third row seats in the Model S must only be used for children over 37 in (0.94 m) tall and weighing between 35 to 77 lb (16 to 35 kg). 4lb more than the BMW.

I suspect that if Tesla had been 'unlimited' in their specification for the seats, like BMW, rather than being honest and safety-conscious, this would not be an issue.

Keep 'em coming. The more examples, the better.

It really looks like there are a significant number of people here who need/want those third row seats. There is still a chance.

The most useful thing we can get at the moment is examples of other cars approved in Hong Kong that have similar seats.

• Flip-down third row seats
  • Limited in size
  • Specifically described by manufacturer as limited

So far, we have:
  • BMW X5 (limited in size)

Can people look around, and let me know of any other examples you can find?

Thanks, Mark.

You could ask Tesla to prepare the car (reinforced bumper etc) in their factory anyway but not install the seats before delivery. After delivery you could purchase the seats as part(s) and have a mechanic (or Tesla if they are up to it) mount them in the car.

I recall that at beginning of last year Tesla had mechanics installing rear-facing seats for some customers in US who didn't get them in original delivery - it was mentioned in one of the internet reviews at the time (the guy was talking about taking the car back to have the rear-facing seats installed). So it is definitely possible to have them installed post-production if Tesla wants to do so (presumably there is some logistics cost to such an alternative).

Apparently it's nothing to do with size. It's the REAR facing causing the issue. All approved third row seats are FRONT facing.

(From my friend at BMW Canada. It seems linking to some weird British rules.)

interesting...there is a Audi station wagon (looks over 12 years old car) in my parking with a rear facing seat (saw there were two kids sitting there couple times). Don't understand why TD doesn't approve Tesla rear facing seat

You could ask Tesla to prepare the car (reinforced bumper etc) in their factory anyway but not install the seats before delivery. After delivery you could purchase the seats as part(s) and have a mechanic (or Tesla if they are up to it) mount them in the car.

When the car is registered, it is licensed for a maximum number of passengers (based on number of seats).