Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P85 with BEL STi-R, HP Laser Interceptor, Lukas 7900 Cam, Curb Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dratifk

Model Y LR Seven Seater RED
Hi all

I just got my Car last week and have been compiling all the stuff I need installed. Got a Box full of gear. So far I've had the Electrician wire the HPWC and its working like a charm. Havn't driven the car yet since I have no plates or registration. I bought the car used from a private seller. I have an appointment on Dec10th at the local stereoshop to do the installation.

Going with the folowing:
BEL STi-R RAdar Detector System
High Power Laser Interceptor Quad setup
Lukas 7900 HD Front Cam (considering same cam for rear)
Curb Alert Bumper Protection
Already installed Tesla All weather Interior Liner set

Any advice on install would be helpful. A few questions I have. I was thinking I could install the camera/cameras myself using the overhead microphone compartment power I've been reading about --seems simple enough. Only question could I hookup both front and rear camera off same power supply?

Also I've been seeing how many people are running the wires from the front into the passenger compartment. What method is best? Artsci's method of drilling through the firewall? or routing wires around the door?

The car came with full XPEL paint protection and Crystalline Tint.

IMG_1002.jpg
photo 1 (2).JPG
photo 2 (2).JPG
photo 4.JPG

Save yourself the cost of the radar and laser intercepter and just download Waze on your phone (free). Integrates with bluetooth in the car. Works like a charm. Much better than radar/laser. Awesome knowing exactly where the cops are as well as if they are hidden or in plain view and which side of the road they are on. And it gives you a lot more features too . I love the alerts for "warning: object on road ahead". very good to get alerted with this given the car rides low (well, it used to until they crippled it in v5.8), but still I dont want to be running over any truck tires on the highways.

Save yourself the cost of the radar and laser intercepter and just download Waze on your phone (free). Integrates with bluetooth in the car. Works like a charm. Much better than radar/laser. Awesome knowing exactly where the cops are as well as if they are hidden or in plain view and which side of the road they are on. And it gives you a lot more features too . I love the alerts for "warning: object on road ahead". very good to get alerted with this given the car rides low (well, it used to until they crippled it in v5.8), but still I dont want to be running over any truck tires on the highways.

+1 on using Wave. I have it on all the time. I also have a radar detector, but never use it anymore (they are illegal in my state, and the shielding in the glass on the model S interferes with reception.) Just last week I received a warning about an object in the road, and sure enough 1/2 mile later I came upon the object in my lane (was on a 3-lane highway.) It was an entire front bumper. I thought I captured the entire thing on my dash cam but it turned out it was unplugged(!@#!) and I hadn't noticed. I think the service center unplugged it when I took it in to swap my wheels.

Any advice on install would be helpful. A few questions I have. I was thinking I could install the camera/cameras myself using the overhead microphone compartment power I've been reading about --seems simple enough.

unless you have an early VIN number, that 12V power line won't be there. It was removed at some point as they no longer planned on installed lighted vanity mirrors.

Also I've been seeing how many people are running the wires from the front into the passenger compartment. What method is best? Artsci's method of drilling through the firewall? or routing wires around the door?

Given that the Model S was intentionally designed to route all fires through the front, and given that lithium burns at an insanely high metal-melting temperature, drilling through any firewalls is a VERY VERY VERY bad idea. The firewalls are there to serve a purpose..that is, to save your life. Don't mess with it.

The car came with full XPEL paint protection and Crystalline Tint

XPEL PPF is awesome. Crystalline, however, looks horrible on the rear window.

3mhue.jpg

It's purple due to a reaction the nanotechnology has with the special rear window coating Tesla uses. I just had mine ripped off and replaced. Looks awesome now. details of the replacement here: Model S - Window Tinting - Page 52 If you have the same purplish look, I definitely recommend switching to a completely different brand.

Ok So I installed Waze and within first 10 miles I get hit with Laser by cop on overpass. Waze gave no warning or indication. But my Laser Interceptor gave the cop zeros on his gun. I shut off the LI and slowed down and sure enough he hit me with the gun again and that's the end of that. I've had LI and V1 radar for years and I know how well they work. As far as Waze yes its great but very dependent on people entering data. If I'm the first guy passing a cop who protects me.

Curb Alert Pro installed just below my Skene Lic Plate. I'll post Pics today. I had the LI and Bel-Sti-r installed and also had the Cams installed. Everything working perfectly. Still need to take back as the controls are installed in front of cubby with swede covered front. I don't like the look and want carbon fiber covered front. Yes I have the 12V tap and the Cam install was super easy.

Gotta be honest I see no Purple Ting to the tint

Last edited:
...Curb Alert Pro installed just below my Skene Lic Plate. I'll post Pics today...

Do you have some pics of that installed, yet? I just ordered mine. The Pro look MUCH smaller than the non-pro. You and I have very similar setups going on, too. I'm waiting for nicer weather to install the STi-R with ZR4 shifters, but I'm still going back and forth on which 2ch dashcam setup I want to get. I wish I could find a 2ch mini DVR box that was worth a damn that could be mounted out of sight and only run the wires for the cams. I don't want a big fat thing sitting in front of the mirror.

I'm planning on almost the exact same install with my car. I got the LI HP Quad shifters (gonna rip out the ZR4's), Blackvue W550 2-ch dashcams, Curb Alert EV model, hopefully will have Artsci's LED "T" by then. Will post pics when finished in the middle of January.

Do you have some pics of that installed, yet? I just ordered mine. The Pro look MUCH smaller than the non-pro. You and I have very similar setups going on, too. I'm waiting for nicer weather to install the STi-R with ZR4 shifters, but I'm still going back and forth on which 2ch dashcam setup I want to get. I wish I could find a 2ch mini DVR box that was worth a damn that could be mounted out of sight and only run the wires for the cams. I don't want a big fat thing sitting in front of the mirror.

Sorry Its been so Cold here in Rochester NY I've had no interest in freezing my butt in the garage. I will hopefully have some pics today or latest tomorrow. I'm not an expert on posting videos but I'll give that a try as the Dash Cam setup deserves Video to see it best.

I've also be busy with a error message from the Laser Interceptor bad sensor but I think it was because of a bad 12V battery in the Tesla. I had Ranger Service come out yesterday and replace the 12V battery and the error seems to be gone.

By the way forgot to mention I decided to go with the Blackvue DR550 dual Dashcam setup as well using the 12v Tap in the microphone compartment. Installation is perfect except the rear camera shows the defroster lines of the back window

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Here are the Pics I promised. Lighting not the best but you can see the Curb Alert EV under the Lic Plate. You can also see the Skene Lic Plate Holder. The Laser Interceptor is installed really well. I'll have to post outdoor Pics with better lighting but right now the Tesla is Grounded since I have Summer Performance Tires on it and still waiting for the Rial Luganos with winter Tires from TireRack. The Cameras work well and the rear camera needs to be centered. Also the Cubby install I'm not happy with they didn't have carbon fiber so they installed swede. Don't like the look. Also the front of the cubby is angled down and they will fix that. Also the CRub alert on off power switch on the cubby is red and very distracting will have them change that to green so it matches the LAser Interceptor on/off switch. Overall very clean install. The USB upgrade wires in the side panel next to dash on Drivers side.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
DSC02254.jpg
DSC02255.jpg
DSC02256.jpg
DSC02259.jpg
DSC02261.jpg
DSC02264.jpg
DSC02265.jpg
DSC02266.jpg
DSC02268.jpg

The Lukas worked for the front but it was too big for the rear. The rear companion camera with the blackvue fits perfect and you can't see it in the rear view mirror. Plus I found a seller selling it for $290 with $10 EMS shipping. I still think the Lukas has better pic and is best solution for front only but if you want front and rear I think Blackvue is a better choice.

Like I said if you are just doing a front camera Lukas can't be beat. I would however recommend front and rear solution. No reports yet on the Blackvue 550 overheating. Plus in Rochester we only get a few days of 90+ weather. If you are parked and someone hits your car from behind and you have no video you will regret it.