Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HV Manual Service Disconnect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why doesn't the Model S have a manual HV service disconnect like the Roadster? I know that there is a first responder 12v service disconnect that feeds the HV contactor on the Model S but I am curious as to why Tesla did not see fit to have a manual disconnect as well?

> first responders should use the one where you cut the wire in two places. [jerry33]

That is the orange-tagged 12 volt wire under top cover in Frunk. Cutting out a segment of that wire also kills the High Voltage, in most cases(!!). Also reach in and cut battery negative terminal as well.

High Voltage comes forward from battery inside rocker cover on passenger side. These orange wires connect to dc-dc converter just behind right wheel. Leave all of this alone - cut dash pillar above hinge on passenger door frame (half way up). Followed by 2 floor dash supports, then the 3 dash support struts under frunk hood. Then dash can be jacked up & forward, liberating passenger.

Dash on driver's side has no High Voltage wires to worry about, so normal extrication procedure. Nice to know all this if you ever get trapped inside an MS. Good but thorough video. Thanx for finding this one.

MS-battery-dash_foreward.jpg

--

Last edited:
There is one. It's even documented in this video. However, the video says first responders should use the one where you cut the wire in two places.

I do not believe that there is a manual service disconnect. There is an emergency disconnect (as noted in my initial post) but not a manual service disconnect. According to the NHSTA the vehicle does not have a manual service disconnect. Most EV's and hybrids have a manual service disconnect.

Screen Shot 2013-09-11 at 8.17.32 AM.png

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/database/aspx/searchmedia2.aspx?database=v&tstno=8309&mediatype=r&r_tstno=8309 Report 2
Page 26/27

The first responder 12v loop does indeed isolate the HV to the battery. The proper way to isolate the HV battery is to disconnect the first responder 12v loop red connector (not necessary to cut the loop). There is no other accessible high voltage service disconnect. Apparently this loop interacts directly with the HV contactor.

The first responder 12v loop does indeed isolate the HV to the battery. The proper way to isolate the HV battery is to disconnect the first responder 12v loop red connector (not necessary to cut the loop). There is no other accessible high voltage service disconnect. Apparently this loop interacts directly with the HV contactor.

Just FYI, Tesla Service once had me do this (disconnect the connector, NOT cut the loop), when our master charger failed at low SOC. It happened on a holiday weekend and our home is a ferry trip away from the service center, so it was going to take several days to recover the car and get a new charger shipped from California (spare stocks were less then).

When you do this you drop the vampire drain on the HV battery to almost zero. It is worth knowing about in such a low-SOC/cannot-charge emergency.