Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey wheels question -- noticed new plastic lugnut covers instead of painted lugnuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Musterion

18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″
Jan 10, 2013
M8
Grey wheels question - CONFIRMED new plastic lugnut covers instead of painted lugnuts

I was looking in detail at some new Model S cars with grey wheels as I am planning a 19" powder coat, and noticed that some new cars with the 21" grey wheels now have plastic matte grey/black covers (shaped like a bigger nut) press fit over the standard chrome lugnuts which normally come with silver wheels. Other cars I found have proper lugnuts painted a gloss dark grey to match the wheels. What do others have? (If anyone interested I can try to remember to take a photo next time).

Also could someone please tell me if I can interchange the lugnuts and center caps between 19" and 21" wheels?

Last edited:
Update: I confirmed today at Menlo Park service center that new cars with grey wheels will be shipped with standard chrome lugnuts covered with the press-fit plastic black caps. No more nice grey matching lugnuts if that's your thing. I bought their last stock of 20 painted lugnuts for my project...