Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing Tie Down Points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Roadster has been towed. AAA. We used straps through the rims, with softer cloth put between the straps and the rim to protect it. Worked ok. Towed about 15 mi. on twisty CA-1 near Sea Ranch.
FYI... Towed because rear tire was pinched - inflater kit got me about two miles which got to a call box because there was no cell service. Sigh.

Roadster strap tie-down tie down flatbed flat bed trailer tow-truck tow truck truck-in truckin' trucking strapped

roadster.strap.jpg

I use 4 straps with car in PARK and parking brake ON. No way this is straining the rim spokes IMHO.
--

Last edited:
Model S trailer

Tesla just took my car to be serviced on one of their new "Model S trailers" (made especially for the Model S.) They had a nifty system that had the strap go OVER the tire, locking down in front of and behind each tire. Unfortunately, the Roadster is significantly narrower than the S, so they only tied down two tires on one side. Sorry, I forgot to take pictures :redface:

Last edited:
Roadster strap tie-down tie down flatbed flat bed trailer tow-truck tow truck truck-in truckin' trucking strapped

That's nicely done. Tip: a friend of mine was carrying his Roadster in a trailer, and his tie-downs were touching one of the rubber mud flaps. Over the course of the trip it cut through the mud flap, leading to an expensive replacement. Something to watch out for.

I maybe a little too cautious but I'd be a little sketchy to tie down Roadster and put all my luck onto one spoke of a wheel, most in particular if the Rims are cast which I believe some are. Cast I've always found to be strong but brittle. A better tie-down point I'd use would be wrapping around the large part of the rim on the opposite side of the flat side of the tire, that way it has way more surface area and would be highly unlikely to fail. Just had my Roadster taken in for service on a flatbed and that's how they strapped it. Scary watching them load it up, he didn't use the center tow hook but rather used the a strap on each of the front lower A-Arm and pulled the Roadster up that way. He used nylon straps so that no damage would occur to the front aluminum wind plate/dam. So that the Roadster wouldn't scrape its nose he rode it up onto two 4x4 pieces of wood that were put down lengthwise. Appeared to work well. I asked him why he didn't use the tow hook, he said he didn't trust it and that two tow/pull points on a strong A-Arm is better than one thats in the center which didn't look like it was mounted to the frame. I never seen how that tow hook is mounted to the roadster but I do know that is indeed the crash box area so he may have a point there.

I've got an enclosed trailer that I use to haul the Atom to track events. I installed E-Track along the floor of the trailer,. When I drilled the holes in the floor of the trailer for bolting down the E-Track, I made sure that these also went through the steel supports under the floor. I didn't want the E-Track to just be attached to the 3/4" plywood floor. After driving the Atom into the trailer, I install clips into the E-track that I can then use ratcheting straps to tie it down and keep it from moving around.

E-Track 2 D-Ring, 3.5K Erickson Trailer Cargo Control E59143 is very close to the clips that I have for use with the E-Track.