Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MythBusters: Electric -vs- Gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
MythBusters Hack Go-Karts in Electric vs. Gas Vehicle Test - Photos and Results - Popular Mechanics

mythbusters-cruise-0608.jpg

Also, many of those go-karts are used indoors these days ( Welcome to GoKart Racer ), so electric karts seem like a real good idea for reduced noise and indoor air pollution.

Electric Karting - Coming to America @ Megawatt Motorworks
Auto Racing Daily : Electric Karts The Way To Go
Go Karts: 7 Advantages of Electric Go Karts Over Gas - Associated Content
learn about electric karts, electric kart
Electric go-karts
Electric Go-Karts

If would be good if someone opened an electric kart track in the SF Peninsula (since SpeedRing closed)

Last edited:
Having done indoor kart racing at 2 local venues (K1 Speed and Miramar Speed Circuit), by far I prefer the lead-acid electric karts.

Price is basically the same between the two (not that cheap at up to $20 / race - look for coupons or deals!)
Top speed of the two karts feels similar.
Electric carts kills the gas karts off-the-line acceleration - the gas karts can be dog slow off the line.
The electric karts are much more consistent in performance - found the gas karts can vary significantly in power levels where the electric karts are generally very similar.
Doesn't smell like gas/oil when you're racing
You don't smell like gas when you leave

So the electric karts have no drawbacks compared to the gas karts, at least at this level.

For sure if you're really serious about racing gas karts will continue to have the edge for now - but I have to think there's a place for competitive electric kart racing as well.

Yeah, I went to both of those tracks in San Diego too.
I don't go to gas carts anymore, just electric.
No fumes, no clutch slip, and much better off the line torque.

Further, they tend to have much better controls - the staff can press a button an everyone on the track goes to half power (for instance) if there is an accident, and they can make cars slow down as they head back to the "pits", etc.

"Welcome to the Muppet Labs, where the future is being made today.
We have a new electric car here today, and will demonstrate a super charging process which will charge up the vehicle in seconds from a bottle of tomato juice.
We filled the tomato juice in here, what is actually a modified kitchen mixing machine. And now, my assistant Beaker will connect the supercharger cable coming out here to that electric car while I start up the mixer..."
"Mimimi"
"C'mon, Beaker, it's only 400 Volts."
"Mimimi Mieeeh"
"Beaker, we all know EVs are good for the environment, so would you please now go ahead."
"mimimimimimimi MIEMIEMIEMIE" frrrz Pop BANG!
Dr Bunsen Honeydew sprinkled with tomato juice, pushing Beaker's smoldering shoes aside.
"And in a further episode, when Beaker returns from the ceiling, we will charge up an ocean liner from a single chewing gum."