Thread: Sales tax rebate for a trade in and where to take delivery....

Sponsor (& Model S Owner) pete8314's Avatar

Sales tax rebate for a trade in and where to take delivery....

With all the issues about 'buying' a Tesla in Texas, how do things work if I have a trade-in? Do I still get the benefit of only paying Texas sales tax on the balance?

Also, I was originally planning a factory collection. If I did that, would I still get the benefit of no sales tax on the trade-in value, given that CA doesn't allow that?

Finally, if I did the factory collection, then I'd be able to roll the sales tax into the financing (I think) as that would show on the MVPA, whereas it wouldn't for Tx, correct?

Lots of questions....in summary, what I'd ideally like to do is benefit from not paying sales tax on the trade-in amount, and be able to finance the sales tax on the Model S purchase. If I could do both those things, I don't really care where I have to take delivery. Is this possible?
    Delivered Feb 8 2013 - VIN 4287 - 85Kwh/Dolphin Grey/Pano/Tech/Sound/Air/shelf/HPWC/Passport 9500ci/19" TSportline wheels
    Accessorize your Model S with Abstract Ocean! - order before Dec 20 for free USPS Priority Mail shipping (US only, orders over $20) | All new Metallic FobPockets!!

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    You'll pay almost 3% more for the car if you do a factory delivery (CA sales tax) so you should factor that in as well.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Sponsor (& Model S Owner) pete8314's Avatar
    That'll be refunded eventually by Texas, I think?

Chances are good that ill skip on the factory collection to save a bit of money, but I'd still like to trade in my car and save the sales tax, and be able to finance the rest of the sales tax. Is there a way, for a Texas resident??
    Delivered Feb 8 2013 - VIN 4287 - 85Kwh/Dolphin Grey/Pano/Tech/Sound/Air/shelf/HPWC/Passport 9500ci/19" TSportline wheels
    Accessorize your Model S with Abstract Ocean! - order before Dec 20 for free USPS Priority Mail shipping (US only, orders over $20) | All new Metallic FobPockets!!

Quote Originally Posted by pete8314 View Post
    That'll be refunded eventually by Texas, I think?
    Texas paying something California took from you? This is where secession talk comes from.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Thread Information