Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Spare charging cord

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Long island
    Posts
    1

    Icon3 Spare charging cord

    I am all set to receive my Model S early 2013 (p5664, 60 kwh, blue, blk leather, pano) and have my garage all ready to go. Fortunately the outlet is a mere 5 ft from where the rear driver's side will be.

    I'm wondering if I can make a short cord for daily charging and simply leave the 20ft cord in the car for on the road charging.

    Does anyone know ( possibly someone lucky enough to already hane their S) if the charging cord has any additional circuitry necessary to monitor charging? Can I make my own 5 ft charging adapter?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Johan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Drammen, Norway
    Posts
    1,555
    Where will you get the part that plugs in to the car (Tesla connector). You could use the J1772 adapter though, and make a short J1772 cable, those connectors are available.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Randolph, MA
    Posts
    1,416
    75A OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE
    30A OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/w...SE_by_mwolrich

    You should ask Tesla how much an extra UMC2 will cost, I'm guessing more than building your own J-1772 EVSE

    BTW, it's more than just a cord, it's a safety switch and it also generates the pilot signal to tell the car the maximum ampacity availble as well.
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

  4. #4
    Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,582
    Quote Originally Posted by 5664modelS View Post
    I am all set to receive my Model S early 2013 (p5664, 60 kwh, blue, blk leather, pano) and have my garage all ready to go. Fortunately the outlet is a mere 5 ft from where the rear driver's side will be.

    I'm wondering if I can make a short cord for daily charging and simply leave the 20ft cord in the car for on the road charging.

    Does anyone know ( possibly someone lucky enough to already hane their S) if the charging cord has any additional circuitry necessary to monitor charging? Can I make my own 5 ft charging adapter?
    If you put a hook on the wall there, the cable can loop around it and you just hang the 5ft or so you need off of it. The new UMC is very light and not a problem to unplug when you go on a longer trip. I never drive around with it unless I'm going on a long trip.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

  5. #5
    Sig Perf #236 VIN #484
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    If you put a hook on the wall there, the cable can loop around it and you just hang the 5ft or so you need off of it. The new UMC is very light and not a problem to unplug when you go on a longer trip. I never drive around with it unless I'm going on a long trip.
    I bought the HPWC just so I could leave the UMC in its pouch in the car...

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    El Segundo, Calif.
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Where will you get the part that plugs in to the car (Tesla connector). You could use the J1772 adapter though, and make a short J1772 cable, those connectors are available.
    Agreed, if one could only get the new Tesla connector it would be easy. For the roadster, they sell a spare UMC for $1500... with that one could simply shorten the cord or, better, directly connect to the box or panel at the desired length without the 14-50 plug and adapter. I expect a similar UMC will be available soon with the S connector. But $1500 is highway robbery.

    Not sure how one could accomplish this with a J1772 adapter without the S connector. care to elaborate?

    Mitch, thanks for the info on open EVSE

  7. #7
    Senior Member Johan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Drammen, Norway
    Posts
    1,555
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedToDrive View Post
    Not sure how one could accomplish this with a J1772 adapter without the S connector. care to elaborate?
    AFAIK the Model S comes with a J1772 adapter to plug between the J1772 connector and the charge port?
    Models S EU P#389 - P85 blue, twin chargers, pano roof, 19" wheels, tech pack, security pack, winter pack, black leather interior. Delivered Sept 5th 2013. - Model X EU P#5 reservation -

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Randolph, MA
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedToDrive View Post
    Agreed, if one could only get the new Tesla connector it would be easy. For the roadster, they sell a spare UMC for $1500... with that one could simply shorten the cord or, better, directly connect to the box or panel at the desired length without the 14-50 plug and adapter. I expect a similar UMC will be available soon with the S connector. But $1500 is highway robbery.

    Not sure how one could accomplish this with a J1772 adapter without the S connector. care to elaborate?

    Mitch, thanks for the info on open EVSE
    The Model S comes with the J-1772 to Tesla Model S adapter... you can use that and leave it connected to your Home J-1772 EVSE, or perhaps Tesla will sell a spare, although I don't think it will be cheap from them (could be $300 or more). If you had a spare, you could leave one adapter connected to your home J-1772 EVSE, and keep one in the Model S for road trip use, then you wouldn't have to remove it from your home setup to keep it in the car.

    what we need to know is how much is a spare J-1772 to Tesla Model S adapter?
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    El Segundo, Calif.
    Posts
    73
    So if I understand correctly each model S comes with two connectors that can plug into the car. The first is an EVSE with adapters on the power side of the cord for various NEMA connectors (14-50 being the default). The second has a direct J-1772 female connection to be used with various public charging. Do I understand that right? Where can I find this information documented?

    Don't know why but I was thinking there was just one "S-connect" and it had a standard adapter with various NEMA & J-1772 standards available. But I haven't seen anything official published.

  10. #10
    S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,722
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedToDrive View Post
    So if I understand correctly each model S comes with two connectors that can plug into the car. The first is an EVSE with adapters on the power side of the cord for various NEMA connectors (14-50 being the default). The second has a direct J-1772 female connection to be used with various public charging. Do I understand that right? Where can I find this information documented?
    It also comes with a 110 household plug (P15 IIRC)

    Model S Specs and Standard Features | Tesla Motors

    • Charging
    • 10 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1-40 A (Optional 20 kW capable Twin Chargers increases input compatibility to 80 A)
    • Peak charger efficiency of 92%
    • 10 kW capable Universal Mobile Connector with 110 V, 240 V, and J1772 adapters


    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Will the Model S/X have a spare tire & if not, how is that ok?
    By de704 in forum Model S: Driving Dynamics
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 07:07 AM
  2. Charging on an extension cord
    By widodh in forum Europe
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 05:19 AM
  3. Spare Mobile Connector a waste?
    By smorgasbord in forum Roadster: Technical
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 06:35 PM
  4. My spare connector is on the fritz. Dangit.
    By zack in forum Charging Standards and Infrastructure
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 02:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •