Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Definition of 'sandbagging'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Oh hey Larry, I think you took my earlier post in a negative light. I actually meant the word "sand-bagging" in a positive way... you know when you're playing golf with a guy who claims he hasn't played in years, and the next thing you know, you discover he's a "scratch" golfer.

Now I see how you were looking at it, as I thought your response was a little odd when I first read it.

You'll find I'm one of the most optimistic, faithful to Elon and crew here. Call me an objective, logical, yet a fanboy. Any verbiage from me that comes across differently - we'll blame on my bad choice of words. ;)

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the clarification.

I unfortunately have never associated "sandbagging" in a positive way. Here's how Dictionary.com puts it:

sand·bag
verb, sand·bagged, sand·bag·ging.
noun
1. a bag filled with sand, used in fortification, as ballast, etc.
2. such a bag used as a weapon.
3. to furnish with sandbags.
4. to hit or stun with a sandbag.
5. Informal .
a. to set upon violently; attack from or as if from ambush.
b. to coerce or intimidate, as by threats: The election committee was sandbagged into nominating the officers for a second term.
c. to thwart or cause to fail or be rejected, especially surreptitiously or without warning: He sandbagged our proposal by snide remarks to the boss.​
6. Poker . to deceive (one or more opponents) into remaining in the pot by refraining from betting on a strong hand, then raising the bet in a later round.

Larry

At the risk of continuing the off-topic wandering, on the Phrase Finder bulletin board, someone offers this story (which matches what I thought I knew of the origin of "to sandbag"):
I have also encountered the term used in the context of "ambush" - sort of the idea in the poker explanation. I was formerely active in theater, and there is an interesting explanation of the term that is common among actors.

On true working stages, where backdrops are "flown" - attached to ropes so they can be lifted up and down as required, the unused ropes being weighted with sandbags for easy retrieval.

It is a common exercize of actors to practice their "blocking" - position and movement that they do while delivering their lines. Thus, an actor might be expected to be on the stage before or in-between shows. Eager understudies were said to wait on the catwalks above the stage to try to drop a sandbag on the lead actor so they could have a chance to perform. Another explanation was that an actor who had a grudge against a fellow actor would drop a sandbag as a warning.

Whether the true meaning of the term or not - the story is rather charming.

That's a terrible definition on Dictionary.com. I play golf and poker, and you hear the term used every day on the golf course, and I don't know that I've ever heard it at the poker tables. For a golfer, it means artificially inflating your handicap so that you are able to win a match or tournament by "sandbagging" with a handicap much higher than your level of play. At any member-guest tournament, pretty much any time a guest with a handicap greater than single digits hits a nice shot or putt they are accused of sandbagging or being a sandbagger.

That's a terrible definition on Dictionary.com. I play golf and poker, and you hear the term used every day on the golf course, and I don't know that I've ever heard it at the poker tables. For a golfer, it means artificially inflating your handicap so that you are able to win a match or tournament by "sandbagging" with a handicap much higher than your level of play. At any member-guest tournament, pretty much any time a guest with a handicap greater than single digits hits a nice shot or putt they are accused of sandbagging or being a sandbagger.

Similarly, I was familiar with its use in bowling. Sandbagger was whispered of only a few players in the leagues I bowled in.

The Oxford English Dictionary's entry is somewhat interesting.

For the noun sandbag it gives:

A bag filled with sand for use:
.... 3. as a weapon to inflict a heavy blow without leaving a mark ....

And as a verb it gives:

1. barricade or defend. 2. place sandbags against a window, chink etc. 3. fell with a blow from a sandbag. 4. (N.America) coerce by harsh means.

I had always assumed that the modern use for 'take by surprise' (golf etc. examples earlier in this thread) related to definition 3 - the use by historical criminals/military to sneak up on someone and kill them silently.
The OED's idea of North American usage doesn't seem to be up-to-date on how you guys actually use the term.
I had always assumed that the modern use of 'sandbagging' to