Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't charge at L2 after Severe Weather while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Josh L

May 9, 2024
NC
I was charging at work when severe weather hit. I heard thunder, then soon after got notification my 2018 M3LR had unexpectedly stopped charging. I tried the other two L2 chargers available, neither worked. I also tried my Mobile charger, it didn't work. All the letters in TELSA were green on the Mobile charger. I finally tried a charge point, same issue. The screen says "Charging equipment communication error" in every instance.

My best guess is the Charge Port Controller ECU was damaged. I saw one other thread where someone had the same issue but didn't post a resolution, other than Tesla fixed it. Can anyone confirm this is the part I need?

I got this exact same thing when lightning hit a tree in my property and my car was plugged in (but not charging). I couldn’t charge anywhere, AC or DC. I also I had my airbag light come on from it.

$1100 to fix, but that included the more pricey SRS module which you may not have. All out of warranty though I’m not sure “acts of god” are considered in warranty. Bring it in a just describe the situation with the car not being able to charge.

1715257253711.png

Upvote 0
Thanks jmaddr,
My quote is for $905.73 which includes Charge Port Controller Assembly (1092755-98-D, which I think is similar to your 1092755-99-D) for $140 but also, the charge port itself for $150, and a $315 wire harness. I am hoping to buy the ECU and swap it myself.

Upvote 0
I was charging at work when severe weather hit. I heard thunder, then soon after got notification my 2018 M3LR had unexpectedly stopped charging. I tried the other two L2 chargers available, neither worked. I also tried my Mobile charger, it didn't work. All the letters in TELSA were green on the Mobile charger. I finally tried a charge point, same issue. The screen says "Charging equipment communication error" in every instance.

My best guess is the Charge Port Controller ECU was damaged. I saw one other thread where someone had the same issue but didn't post a resolution, other than Tesla fixed it. Can anyone confirm this is the part I need?
Lucky you weren't sitting in the car.

You may have gone, Back to the Future.

1715294265553.png

1715294489646.png

Upvote 0
🤣
I was hoping I could Supercharge to buy a little time and get home from work. I didn't mention I was 140 miles from home when this happened with 135 miles range. Anyhow supercharging didn't work, I got the same communication error. I bought the Charge Controller ECU (1092755-98-D) from the local dealer at 5pm yesterday, installed it myself, re-installed software in Service Mode, and it worked! FYI you have to re-install software because the new Charge Controller ECU comes without software.

Upvote 0
🤣
I was hoping I could Supercharge to buy a little time and get home from work. I didn't mention I was 140 miles from home when this happened with 135 miles range. Anyhow supercharging didn't work, I got the same communication error. I bought the Charge Controller ECU (1092755-98-D) from the local dealer at 5pm yesterday, installed it myself, re-installed software in Service Mode, and it worked! FYI you have to re-install software because the new Charge Controller ECU comes without software.
That's worth a Youtube video.

Upvote 0