Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under the skin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have read any of my posts on the cyberturd you know I find it to be....disappointing.
So consider what I write next as from someone that already dislikes how the "Designers" screwed over the engineers.
The cyberturd is still a very disappointing vehicle, but damn if it isn't built well from what I can tell from watching the YouTube videos by the Auto line and Munro on its engineering.
The design of the turdneau cover, and its inclusion in the final "design" ruined some really high quality engineering.
The steer-by-wire, all wheel steering, and the quality huge castings are big wins. And make me believe in TESLA as a car company. Even if they did hide those engineering fears in a TURD.

If you have read any of my posts on the cyberturd you know I find it to be....disappointing.
So consider what I write next as from someone that already dislikes how the "Designers" screwed over the engineers.
The cyberturd is still a very disappointing vehicle, but damn if it isn't built well from what I can tell from watching the YouTube videos by the Auto line and Munro on its engineering.
The design of the turdneau cover, and its inclusion in the final "design" ruined some really high quality engineering.
The steer-by-wire, all wheel steering, and the quality huge castings are big wins. And make me believe in TESLA as a car company. Even if they did hide those engineering fears in a TURD.
I am right there with you. Part of me is waiting for "cbt v2" with all the lessons learned fixed... somehow I think this run of "trucks" is one and done. Tesla will either double down or abandon this experiment.

Reactions: lafrisbee
Back when the first Turdneau cover for the Cyberturd was being revealed I stated that I did not see how they could make a rolling door that would be waterproof. I was quickly rebuffed, and told it would be waterproof. But not only can't they do that, the design is now having an issue with the rubber seals moving, and both jamming the operation of the cover and leaking.
Only Elon could have made Tesla keep that ridiculous aspect in the final model. That turdneau cover negatively impacts every single solitary aspect of the notaturuck.

Weight:
Higher center of gravity when in "normal" mode.
Lower efficiency.
Large raw material costs.(not only for the rolling door itself but all the gigacasting support and motor.)

Space:
All the time HALF of the structure that houses the turdneau cover is empty so there is a loss in efficiency of design. Probably the supporting structure and motor far outweigh the actual turdneau cover. And that cover is heavy for its purpose.

Design:
Even when it is in "perfect" condition the viewer/owner has to be willing to forgive the inconsistencies the black corrugated look creates with the look of the rest of the notatruck.
And the Turdneau cover quickly fails/degrades into having different colors/finishes and loose rubber seals from one panel to another. The owners must "accept" the look. Not one owner has said, "Look how cool that butt ugly, stupid turdneau cover accents the stainless steel."
And why aren't all the people that are wrapping their Cyberturd's wrapping the turdneau cover? Well that's easy: It is the most beautiful aspect of Elon's dream, and it would be a shame to change it. (not). I can only imagine how many of the people that wrapped their Cyberturd were troubled by not being able to hide the worst visual aspect of the Cyberturd.

Engineering.
Besides all the above. The whole Turdneau cover, the rails, the storage area beneath, and the motor get in the way of engineering a true All-around usable truck/vehicle.
The Vault is just a leaky trunk. And is oddly-shaped for carrying large boxes. The sides are not vertical? And there are overhangs? Those "engineering" choices make it LESS usable.
The rear visibility is the worst of any truck out there, even with the camera.
All other accomplished Pickup Makers have fantastic, multi-functional tailgates. While Tesla backtracked on its tailgate ramp...back tracked all the way back to the 1900's. Not only does Tesla not use the tailgate to increase the usability of the truck, Tesla limits the usability with that POS of a tailgate. And somehow I gotta believe that the turdneau cover forced Tesla to "limit" the tailgate to just being a tailgate. Which is not what Tesla is known for. Just a slab of heavy metal. That's Tesla?
And the whole Turdneau assembly is what the Cyberturd is built around. The frame, the cab, the vault, the tailgate, the battery pack...even the damn back seats. All that for a turdneau cover that is made of more moving parts than are in the rest of the truck...and what was one of Elon's go to statements in regards to moving parts? (and any part at all?) Moving parts FAIL.
And on a personal level, as well as not having the one really cool function of ALL OTHER TESLAS, The vault has no usability for sleeping in overnight. NO HVAC ability. And the cab is impossible for any person approaching 6ft tall to sleep in. Tesla never even tried to engineer the cab to compensate for the failure or unusability of the vault. No modification so the seats fold flat. Nothing. Just ignored it. Yet this turd/truck is market as, "You can go anywhere" in it... but it isn't like other Tesla's, you better be good at pitching a tent and making a fire... or just sweat your balls off if it is warm at night.

ONLY Elon could have wanted this embarrassing turd of a truck. And none of the designers or engineers could say or do anything but tell Emperor Elon they would design the best clothes for him, just as he wanted.

If you cut off all the area of the vault, the tailgate, the storage area for the turdneau cover in the bottom of the Cyberturd, and the Turdneau cover itself the Cybernotatruck could actually be a very decent largish SUV. (Which on some level I think is what Elon wanted to create. He just named it a "truck" to try and capture part of the consumers that buy a truck but never use it for anything but hauling bikes and kids.
So a good third of the cybernotatruck would be improved by taking out the turdneau cover. And another third could be easily engineered to be much better if the turdneau cover wasn't there to get in the way.

The Cyberturd is the only Tesla that keeps getting worse the longer you own it...especially with the turdneau cover.

Last edited:
The vault has no usability for sleeping in overnight. NO HVAC ability.
And the fact that you can't get into it from the cab. This is the main deal breaker for me.
If you cut off all the area of the vault, the tailgate, the storage area for the turdneau cover in the bottom of the Cyberturd, and the Turdneau cover itself the Cybernotatruck could actually be a very decent largish SUV.
That's a good point. It would make a really nice SUV and accommodate a third row, and make a nice place to sleep and take naps. Hopefully Franz is working on that version.
I was quickly rebuffed, and told it would be waterproof. But not only can't they do that, the design is now having an issue with the rubber seals moving, and both jamming the operation of the cover and leaking.
That could be bad. Hopefully this doesn't become a recall nightmare.

Reactions: lafrisbee