Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When anyone is calling, gives their RN, the person on the other end takes notes, they are bound to do so, contractual and obvs reasons. My experience with them has been ok-ish for the most part, to the point that I even tried to bribe them (which worked ... oops). But every time you call, notes are done on the account and they can be visible from the moment they picked up. Phone number recognition. And if you call with withheld number, you will need the RN and they will see the notes.
So every tome you call, you get another note. And from personal experience, they can even give you black or white balls.... imagine receiving a few black ones.
Not sure what any of this has to do with a refund? Unless you are saying to just keep calling/trying…?

You must be the first one to get a refund. Forum is littered with folks saying they wouldn’t refund the order fee. I’ve tried at least 5 times hoping to get a different rep, but everyone of them said the same thing…that order fees are 100% non-refundable.

Intrigued by how you made it happen…
This is in the UK& I forum. UK distance selling regulations allow you to cancel the order and get a full refund. Might be different in Kentucky.

I’m going to cancel the Y and stick with the 3 for a bit
I cancelled the Y the day after they reduced the prices and basically for that reason - the effect on the trade in value of my Model Y. I am pleased now I realise that the Y they were going to give me would have the USS removed. When they reove the gear stick and indicator stick I will also leave this forum as it is 100% certain that I will not buy a car with even less manual controls. In truth the only reason I have stuck withy Tesla so far is that
1. I always sold my second hand ones for less than the new value.
2. You have to have a Tesla to join the TEP. Now that is being dumped I will move to anothyer tariff and am no longer stuck with a TEsla!

While it's 100% a personal decision based on your situation and preferences, here's my niche take that ultimately led me to keep my MYP reservation:

Wife and I were not looking for a new car, much less a friggin' $50k+ Tesla. We've been a single car family for about a year now and really had no plans to get a second one until office visits once again become mandatory, our family expands, etc. Without going to ask her right now, I can safely assume the January price reduction was the driving force behind our "spur of the moment" purchase. That's to say, we knew we'd need another car eventually, so we jumped in when the opportunity presented itself.

Coming from a 2012 Honda Civic with no bells and whistles to speak of, the absence of USS, EAP, FSD, etc. wasn't a big red flag to us - the term "upgrade" even without all those features barely describes the jump. Would I like my really really expensive smart EV to be as smart as it was a year ago (or as smart as some other cheaper cars)? Obviously. More importantly (to us), is it worth passing up on the $13,000 price cut in addition to the $7,500 tax incentive ($20,500 total)? Hell to the naw.

TLDR
  • Having a second car is nice/convenient
  • Old car has no features remotely close to any Tesla
  • Tesla will potentially come through as promised and add basic "smart" functionality to cars w/o USS
  • Expanding family
  • Massive upfront savings during small timeframe
And @teotutulan i have to say that you both are in a similar position (as some others in the thread) were you come from a different, and much older car. I come from a 2020 M3 where that means that for me lack of USS would be a significant downgrade.
Also while reading the posts… and having gone for a few drives, I realised I don’t use the rear sensors as much as the front, plus I’m in the UK and I think we’re known for our very wide and straight streets 🤣.

I came from a car with rear sensors but no camera and a manual (stick?) car the Tesla like you said, saying upgrade is an understatement!
But coming FROM a Tesla to a different Tesla, the bar is higher, especially giving that I’m spending around £20K or so more (as going from ST+ to AWD LR).

But also, I think in your position with the rebates etc in the US where makes car ownership VERY much cheaper, it’s a different conversation.
We have 0 incentives in the UK that could even be anywhere near comparable to the US. We did have the £4K-£5K discount, but that’s that.
It definitely sweetened the deal but let’s be honest with the cost of living issues we’ve had, inflation, interest rates through the roof in addition to the cheekiness it’s changes the question from why wouldn’t I keep it to why keep it?
But as I was reflecting more, I thing I’m more annoyed at the cheekiness of letting me know of a material change to the car and the contract I’ve agreed to 2 WEEKS before I would be collecting it is disrispectful.
I have ordered in August 2022, and I have been offered a car in December but I delayed, Tesla removed/started removing sensors in NOVEMBER 2022. WHY was I not told in November or December? Or at any point in between?

The advisor told me, that they tell customers when they’re allocated the vehicle (big mistake not to read my notes and not see/realise this is NOT the first car I was allocated).
This means they COULD have told me in December but they chose not to. This leads me to believe it is a sales tactic to make you feel like you have your back against the wall really as most people would have arranged cash or finance, probably sold or listed their car for sale, made plans etc etc etc so you feel more invested and it’s harder to “back out”.

Personally at this point it’s less about the USS and more about their blatant disrespect of customers.
Also now worries about HW4 came about on my end, so I’m definitely 100% cancelling at this point and waiting for a moment where HW4 is released OR Vision is implemented.

Other than some annoyances, I love my M3 and only chose the MY as there’s plans to enlarge family in the next year or so and the extra space would have been better, plus the new warranty and better overall build quality from Shenghai. So basically… I can wait.

Reactions: CWT3LR
You must be the first one to get a refund. Forum is littered with folks saying they wouldn’t refund the order fee. I’ve tried at least 5 times hoping to get a different rep, but everyone of them said the same thing…that order fees are 100% non-refundable.

Intrigued by how you made it happen…
😱😱😱
So……. I think I know why. I’m in the UK and I think it’s very much down to legislation.

Although I can’t be sure, the basis of a contract to make it binding, is that there must be and offer and an acceptance and both parties are aware of all of the terms.

Effectively, I cannot agree to uncertain terms and IF any party decides to amend a significant part of the contract, I have the right to agree to it or withdraw myself from the contract.

The party that decided to change the contract cannot, legally, - have their cake and eat it too - allow me to withdraw but penalise me for it as I had no control over the changes.

In the other hand one may argue that Tesla is providing an equivalent feature, at the point of sale, they are not.
They are not providing me with the car that I have reserved and therefore, my contract is defacto void.

If Tesla weren’t about to play ball, I would have done a chargeback as I paid by credit card.
If that wouldn’t have worked, I WOULD have taken them to small claims court and also asked for compensation too at that point. Mostly for a matter of principle. - would not be worried for black listing, as this purchase is not in my personal name 😏😏 and it takes 2 mins to create a new email and use a different CC.

Lastly, I did give them a piece of my mind when I called (I was still polite, but firm) and mentioned breach of contract and material change to a contract several times throughout the call.

So either the operator thought the herself “I don’t get paid enough for this s**t” or it’s standard procedure in the UK.

I also got in writing via text 😏 plus recorded phone calls.. so Yh 😏😏covered my bases there..

Reactions: CWT3LR and MikeeUK
If I was in your position, personally, I would cancel/delay until more HW4 details are released or confirmed in UK cars. Even If it means missing a quarter release.

If Tesla's release cycle was an anime, cars released right now with a lack of USS using HW3 is the filler arc.
That’s what I’m thinking now. I almost 100% made my mind and unless something very drastic happens I’m cancelling

In your position, and having been on the receiving end of a car delivered without USS (though Tesla didn't even bother mentioning this too me), I'd most definitely cancel.
That is shocking!
I’d you can be bothered, read my response just above this one, where I explained my thoughts about why they only decided to mention this 2 WEEKS before collection of such a thing and the fact they had plenty of options to do so before.

I have a Y without the USS. If you depend on the sensors to pull forward in order to park, living without those sensors will be very frustrating. I won’t parallel park until I can practice a bit, somehow, maybe with orange cones. I will have to memorize visual clues to gauge distance. Or have a friend help. It’s not impossible, but Tesla did not do us any favors here.

And @teotutulan i have to say that you both are in a similar position (as some others in the thread) were you come from a different, and much older car. I come from a 2020 M3 where that means that for me lack of USS would be a significant downgrade.
Also while reading the posts… and having gone for a few drives, I realised I don’t use the rear sensors as much as the front, plus I’m in the UK and I think we’re known for our very wide and straight streets 🤣.

I came from a car with rear sensors but no camera and a manual (stick?) car the Tesla like you said, saying upgrade is an understatement!
But coming FROM a Tesla to a different Tesla, the bar is higher, especially giving that I’m spending around £20K or so more (as going from ST+ to AWD LR).

But also, I think in your position with the rebates etc in the US where makes car ownership VERY much cheaper, it’s a different conversation.
We have 0 incentives in the UK that could even be anywhere near comparable to the US. We did have the £4K-£5K discount, but that’s that.
It definitely sweetened the deal but let’s be honest with the cost of living issues we’ve had, inflation, interest rates through the roof in addition to the cheekiness it’s changes the question from why wouldn’t I keep it to why keep it?
But as I was reflecting more, I thing I’m more annoyed at the cheekiness of letting me know of a material change to the car and the contract I’ve agreed to 2 WEEKS before I would be collecting it is disrispectful.
I have ordered in August 2022, and I have been offered a car in December but I delayed, Tesla removed/started removing sensors in NOVEMBER 2022. WHY was I not told in November or December? Or at any point in between?

The advisor told me, that they tell customers when they’re allocated the vehicle (big mistake not to read my notes and not see/realise this is NOT the first car I was allocated).
This means they COULD have told me in December but they chose not to. This leads me to believe it is a sales tactic to make you feel like you have your back against the wall really as most people would have arranged cash or finance, probably sold or listed their car for sale, made plans etc etc etc so you feel more invested and it’s harder to “back out”.

Personally at this point it’s less about the USS and more about their blatant disrespect of customers.
Also now worries about HW4 came about on my end, so I’m definitely 100% cancelling at this point and waiting for a moment where HW4 is released OR Vision is implemented.

Other than some annoyances, I love my M3 and only chose the MY as there’s plans to enlarge family in the next year or so and the extra space would have been better, plus the new warranty and better overall build quality from Shenghai. So basically… I can wait.
You have a point. BTW, I live in Colchester, got the car through salary sacrifice scheme. Indeed, no incentives from the government. To be honest, I have done my research in regards tot he USS, and willingly, I have clicked on YES (or proceed, I don't remember). Also, when I went for the test drive(s), I know that there is no USS. But, in my defence, I had to make a move like this, especially that the family remaining with the Smart as a car, it is not appropriate and sometimes straight dangerous to drive it (especially in the roundabouts when you have Karen flooring it through and you feel like you need to get off your car and start pushing it).

Yeah, I know, they have no USS. But they have cameras. You can approximate (and I say this in the most respectful way), if you can't approximate when you are parking how can you approximate when you are driving, when everything is changing the position constantly. I know, maybe I am old and I have a different opinion (46 soon).

Each to their own mate, I am not trying to convince anyone they should go for it or the vice versa. I will stick to it, I am adult enough to come back here and admit that I made a mistake (or not).

I will keep the order in, especially that I fought A LOT to get it and the offer that I got, I cannot get it again if I cancel and start again. So yeah... it is what it is, each to their own. Still an amazing piece of technology.
Cheers.

the rebates etc in the US where makes car ownership VERY much cheaper,

I think that comparison is hard. From what little I know of it car prices quoted in America don't include sales tax, and rebates are tax deductions - so you have to earn it to be able to claim it back, hence "not applicable to all". People here with company cars (negligible BiK tax) or salary sacrifice are getting a useful tax reduction - that doesn't apply to everyone either of course :)

I agree with you. However, I was under the impression that there was a general mailing to reservation holders back when the change was made. Assuming that was the case then you (and others) didn't get it. Might be that it was treated as SPAM and you never saw it, but Tesla have a history of making changes on-the-hoof and then their Back office system (or some human) struggling to implement the change. Their back office systems have never been up to the job IMO. For example; staff making stuff up about what boat people's cars are on / when delivery will be; back office system should tell them that (within a bit if not specifically), but instead they allow staff to make stuff up (it has happened so often that clearly their line manager is not telling them not to do it)

So I think entirely possible that there was a general mailing, and my opinion is that whoever set it up selected "All appropriate orders" and that just didn't work for the "all" part (and the culture is good-enough-will-do and move-on, whereas with more care and attention they would have reached everyone and not then have a backlash from people who didn't get it - and the increased-cost-of-working of having to do cancellations and refunds etc etc). But whilst they can sell all they can make, and can afford to lose a percentage of punters, then "cheapest/quickest/least-effort" is the chosen solution. Whether they change that to "best customer service" before Production > Orders ... who knows! Sell your shares the day before :)

got the car through salary sacrifice scheme. Indeed, no incentives from the government

isn't the salary sacrifice scheme a government incentive? (they get less tax from you)

, I know, they have no USS. But they have cameras

I think the biggest risk is a low post that you reverse towards but don't see - and which USS would have beeped at. Or a person/object approaching from the opposite side to the wing mirror you are looking in (at that exact moment in time)