Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode - a day with HOD @ Laguna - my personal observations…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on some of the comments from Tesla it seems it might be the motor(s). I've seen statements that the system "borrows" from the colder batteries to cool the hotter motor. Track vs road is tricky. In an ICE vehicle there isn't a huge cooling requirement delta there for most cars and obviously you can goose the system fairly easily. I assume we will be left to the aftermarket.
I think the limitation is the induction motor up front. There's a video around of Elon talking about how great the induction motor's power to weight ratio is, which can be something of a detriment on the track compared to larger, more efficient motors. I haven't heard anything about the RWD 3s throttling on the track either.

Well said, I agree that "track records" are elusive when you can't run them all day. Wish there were more superchargers AT the tracks. Searspoint/Laguna AHEM) would love to explore my S at the limits because teslas are so unique in their entire config you really need to drive then at the limit to rethink your handling dynamic brain algorithm vis a vie ICE cars. Spent lots of time in BMW M3/M5 at sears point and REALLY got to know limits. #elon sponsor some track days (and superchargers!!!) at local venues!!!

I get to amend my personal experience at laguna - I've now put down a 1:40.51 lap time in my GT3 - at this point I'm pretty certain the dunlps are holding me back (what came on car from factory) - I'm looking forward to wearing them out and moving to Michellin PS2 Cups…

this make the 1:50.xx lap in the Model 3 pretty good on stock low-grip street tires…the car is a 100% hoot for those first 3 laps.

Very nice driving!

Are you you going to fit Mountain Pass Performance coilovers? I hear they're firmer but still a great compromise for daily driving. I'd be really curious on your thoughts on those for handling.

Really looking forward to hear more about tracking your EV after some brake and tire changes!

Last edited:
Both RWD and AWD cars reach power limiting on track at roughly the same time, so i'd posit that it's not the front motor but is the inverter itself.

Do we know that the coolant loops even use a radiator? From what i've seen, we know that the AC compressor uses that radiator - but i'm not sure if the coolant loops do too. I think the battery and motor coolant loops are purely chilled by the AC refrigerant via that plate heat exchanger, but definitely could be wrong.
Based on the EPC the cooling system connects to the radiator (1077603-00-D) and any coolant in the superbottle can also be cooled via the chiller (1077577-00-C). The inverter could be the limiting point, but it's also on the coolant loop which should help. I could see the (small?) oil to coolant heat exchanger on the drive unit being the limiting point.

I see consumption as the most difficult problem to overcome - L2 chargers won't do the trick - we'll need some high end commercial grade superchargers or 150/350 KW CSS chargers - prognosticating that we'll have an adapter in the future and all the other EV's are CSS standard…

the Brake issues can be addressed (although some cooling design in the front facia should also be considered)
and the motor/battery cooling can also be addressed

brakes can probably be fixed by after market
motor/battery cooling however probably needs Tesla's assistance - and I don't think it's their priority (nor should it be IMHO)

so once you address brakes & cooling...we're left with consumption…an estimated 60% drain for a full 25 minute session just can't be fixed via L2 level charging…

I still had fun - and the car is great until it's not.

I was able to run all sessions (except bonus/tow) by supercharging at Seaside between sessions and at lunch. I have about 70 mins between sessions and round trip to Seaside is about 30 mins leaving 40 mins to gain about 120 miles. This is assuming you have charging priority of the paired chargers. It was kinda inconvenient but doable.

Also if you do a cool down lap at 70% after 3 hard laps, the heat soak goes away and you're good for 3 more at around 90-95%.

added some mountain pass bits to the car - and went to Thunderhill w/Audi club - learned some lessions…

still not a track car and some heavy lessons learned - but some promising data for a 4,100 lbs 4 door sedan on the track - I think if we "fix" the problems - I can get more data and get some better times…

Video is my best lap from the 1st morning sessions (only got one session more on that later). Track was damp, cold, and there was some traffic. The lap time from start/finish to start/finish is 2:17.xx - I lost the accurate data due to APEXPro not autosaving lap times - and I forgot to enable GPS on my GoPro so we don't have any data {sigh}.

the Lap times for the session were:
  • 2:56.xx
  • 2:24.xx
  • 2:23.xx
  • 2.23.xx
  • 2.25.xx
  • 2.24.xx
  • 2.20.xx
  • 2.17.xx <----- video clip
  • 2:20.xx
  • 2:50 on the in lap
Battery capacity used was 60% (on track @ 98% battery, in at 38% battery for roughly a 25 minute session.This day was meant to be a "test" for my 2018 Model 3 Performance and we will call it a successful failure (like NASA called Apollo 13) - turns out I only got the one session because during this session the factory stock brake pads which were barely used going onto track (90%+) were decimated and rubbing bare metal by the end of this _SINGLE_ session - in speaking with other "racers" after the session apparently the stock pads from Tesla will not withstand _ANY_ heavy use and just melt/disintegrate under heavy track use - ok lesson learned - I limped home relying on regen a lot to minimize the actual engagement of the friction brakes. We'll be searching for better pads and we will be back. But the factory stock pads are NOT recomended for _ANY_ track use based on my experiend. Now this is not a surprising result in that factory pads are notoriously bad from most/all car manufactures - however I have _NEVER_ had pads what wouldn't last even a single session - normally "bad" pads you'll get at least one track day (4 or 5 20 minute sessions) and then they will be done. Having the pads disintigrate in a single 25 minute track sessions for me is a surprising result. But probably appropriate for a vehicle on the street that never uses the friction brakes due to regen.

based on what I learned from this single session - 1 20 min track session is about 50% battery for the Model 3P - so you could run 2 20 min sessions (a bit of 40 amp charging between sessions) - top off with the fast charger @ Walmart in town, and come back and run another 2 sessions in the afternoon.

Tires were the stock Michellin 4S - not particuarly grippy - I was slow on this first sessions because:
  1. cold morning
  2. damp track
  3. cold tires
  4. wrong pressures
  5. still learning the car on track
I'm pretty confident I could get down into the 2:12.xx arena if the brakes had lasted on this one day - and with some stickier tires this car would be sub 2:10.xx @ thunderhill, maybe even sub 2:05.xx more testing will be required to see…Tire pressures going out before the session were 36 PSI all around - when I came in pressures were 42/43 psi all around - if I had gotten a 2nd session I was going to target 38 psi HOT temps and I think the additional grip would've been good - heavy car @ 4,100 lbs don't want to drop the pressures too much.

So we'll call this my personal best for a Model 3 Performance @ Thunderhill and move on from here.

My real personal best @ Thunderhill is sub 1:58.xx times in a Porsche 911 GT3…so we know I'm capable of sub 2 min lap times - but what this car can do will require another visit with better brake pads.

here are picts of the consumption for the 25 min session @ 3 mile track - when on track @ 9 am - so the 8:31 am time can be ignored - that's when I started prepping the car for grid and unplugged it at 99% charge

IMG_1651.jpeg IMG_1646.jpeg

Reactions: wws