Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is why I went solar...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before solar, I'd typically use about 1,800kWh from my utility per month. Now, almost two years with solar, the total grid power I have imported is 1,332.

While I'd love to see more negative bills, having an electricity bill of $0.50 is, well, not priceless, but almost.

I think my utility, like so many others, are finding ways to reduce the amount saved. For instance, our electric rates (before taxes and fees) was around $0.08/kWh. They recently increased the flat bill rate from $5.50 to $15.00 and reduced the energy charge by a little over a penny/kWh.

For now though, with summer in full swing (Florida), I'm very happy with fifty cent electric bills.

1716207535499.png

Nice!

Our bill in Colorado has fallen from ~$110/month averaged over the year to $6.41/month - that's the connection fee, which is non-refundable. In addition, we have several months worth of credits now, so we're more than ready for a severe winter or extended bad smoke days (wildfires).

Frankly, the connection fee would be fair even if several times higher in my view. I don't see how we could support the grid investments needed if everyone paid what we pay, but then, I don't have visibility to the numbers either. Just my gut feeling.

We also have 1:1 net metering for now. Again, don't see how that can last forever realistically.

In the meantime, I sure don't mind a $6 bill.

I've also seen another trend develop since beginning solar operation.... household power useage has decreased at a rate that is heading for an annual 25% reduction. Nothing like trying to fit into what you produce to help see what the OP is enjoying. As are we..... my minimum bill is $9.32 tho.

I wish my usage had gone down 25%! Probably closer to the opposite. My wife now thinks we have free energy (which was mostly my fault when we discussed and made the decision to purchase solar), so the thermostat temp has gone down several degrees. My kids that are still living at home are all teenagers, so hot water usage has drastically increased. Our laundry room may as well be a commercial shop! I also have a pretty extensive woodshop, a pool, you get the picture.

I'm glad I overestimated my usage when sizing my system, however I'm thinking I should have gone even higher... I suppose in about 5 years when all my kids will most likely have moved out, things will shift considerably. I had considered an EV, however I'm in a no-spend era right now with the economy in shambles and shocking grocery bills (did I mention three perpetually hungry teenagers still at home?).

So, you might be wondering how I am certain my kids will be moving out? A few years ago I bought a 3 BR condo and I rent it out to one of my oldest kids and at present a couple of his friends. It's a nice place, but affordable. I break even each month, more of an enticement than a push. :) As the friends move out, my other kids plan to move in when they are able. That's the plan, anyways, time will tell if my investment was appropriate.

I wish my usage had gone down 25%! Probably closer to the opposite. My wife now thinks we have free energy (which was mostly my fault when we discussed and made the decision to purchase solar), so the thermostat temp has gone down several degrees. My kids that are still living at home are all teenagers, so hot water usage has drastically increased. Our laundry room may as well be a commercial shop! I also have a pretty extensive woodshop, a pool, you get the picture.

I'm glad I overestimated my usage when sizing my system, however I'm thinking I should have gone even higher... I suppose in about 5 years when all my kids will most likely have moved out, things will shift considerably. I had considered an EV, however I'm in a no-spend era right now with the economy in shambles and shocking grocery bills (did I mention three perpetually hungry teenagers still at home?).

So, you might be wondering how I am certain my kids will be moving out? A few years ago I bought a 3 BR condo and I rent it out to one of my oldest kids and at present a couple of his friends. It's a nice place, but affordable. I break even each month, more of an enticement than a push. :) As the friends move out, my other kids plan to move in when they are able. That's the plan, anyways, time will tell if my investment was appropriate.
I should capture my useage prior to buying a Tesla vehicle in 2018. That would also tell part of the story. Of course your stage of life is significant in this - I retired in 2017, the pandemic charged our habits, and reduced driving has reduced car charging. Also moved to higher efficiency heat pump and went to a heat pump water heater.
Interestingly, when trying to get a bit closer to accuracy on an ROI calculation, I found that adding the price of the EV on the cost side and realizing the gasoline purchase savings on the return side, my calculated ROI moved about 10 years closer. Actually brought it into a possible reality within my lifespan. So, another look at that could perhaps make an EV more financially attractive? Just a thought.....

NE Tennessee here. We have net metering but the base montly charge has gove from $7.50 to $19.37 since I installed solar some 11 years ago. Still even at $19.37 to have access to a HUGE battery, 1700kWh in my case last year is worth 126 PowerWalls for example. Last year we ran out of credits so we did use a net 200kWh from the grid. And that is powering two cars in addtion to the house.

1716308898503.png

Reactions: Matt-FL
Interestingly, when trying to get a bit closer to accuracy on an ROI calculation, I found that adding the price of the EV on the cost side and realizing the gasoline purchase savings on the return side, my calculated ROI moved about 10 years closer. Actually brought it into a possible reality within my lifespan. So, another look at that could perhaps make an EV more financially attractive? Just a thought.....
My cars are all paid off, so that makes justification for an EV that much more difficult. Even the cheapest EV is still in the $30k range. The monthly payment would nullify any additional savings.

Reactions: mkane and h2ofun
You too? ;) :D

Do you have full LED lighting? Saved me a bundle. Replaced all the fluorescent tubes as well.

Oh yes, switched out all my bulbs to LED long before going solar. I was in electricity cost cutting mode prior to solar. I'd even charge my kids a quarter whenever they left the lights on in their rooms. I'd tell them 'if you are leaving them on, you are going to help me pay the bill'. In all honestly, it was to teach them that money doesn't grow on trees, which seems to be what they are taught in school. Like going to a restaurant, and they ask if they can order a soda. I tell them 'sure, if you pay for it'. They look at the price (mental checkbox 1) and say 'I'm not paying $3.50 for a soda!' (mental checkbox 2), and I respond 'I'm not either' as I order a water :).

Reactions: charlesj