Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The risks of remotely programmable vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking the other day - always dangerous - and have not seen a post on this but I'm never the first one with an idea - so here goes - - -

There is a big EQ in California - it's 2055 and they don't want anyone driving - so they get all the auto manufacturers to send a out code disabling all electric vehicles. Since almost everyone leaves the cars on - you're stuck. And given no car has been sold in CA that is not EV and not remotely programmable since 2040 - literally 60% of the population is locked in place.

Or, you've broken the law and are trying to isolate yourself - but - your car makes that impossible - and they can immobilize you and obtain your position.

Tesla is not a government - so is what they do government action? How does the Bill of Rights interact with your car? There is nothing on this yet - and apparently - TESLA can still access your car even if you've turned off the links.

This should be a significant privacy concern.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
I was thinking the other day - always dangerous - and have not seen a post on this but I'm never the first one with an idea - so here goes - - -

There is a big EQ in California - it's 2055 and they don't want anyone driving - so they get all the auto manufacturers to send a out code disabling all electric vehicles. Since almost everyone leaves the cars on - you're stuck. And given no car has been sold in CA that is not EV and not remotely programmable since 2040 - literally 60% of the population is locked in place.

Or, you've broken the law and are trying to isolate yourself - but - your car makes that impossible - and they can immobilize you and obtain your position.

Tesla is not a government - so is what they do government action? How does the Bill of Rights interact with your car? There is nothing on this yet - and apparently - TESLA can still access your car even if you've turned off the links.

This should be a significant privacy concern.
Or *these people* could also shut down the grid. Or just shut off power via Smart Meters to people they didn't like. Take over all the cable channels. And so on.

Or maybe, to make sure everyone has switched to EVs, they shut down the power to gas stations & no fuel can be pumped disabling every ICE without a fuel tank at home. Eventually all flights are grounded. Farm equipment eventually uses up all the fuel they keep on-site.

You see where I'm going with this. :)

You mean they get a Judge to act upon (what would have to be) a state of emergency, and order auto manufacturers to do this.

Make sure the people who you vote into office are actually the people who you want appointing your judges.
why would you need a judge?

Did TESLA ask anyone to extend range to the Florida evacuees? That's a significant alteration to vehicle capability - while many would agree that it was a positive in light of the circumstances -you could just as easily tell folks they have two miles left- park the car - get out or else.

A capability is a capability - that can be used positively or negatively. You know - I've said for years there is good reason to have a vehicle without a single computer in it - and I do - a 1965 Ford F100 - so that no matter what happens - you can be entirely self-contained at least until the fuel runs out. . . .

you could just as easily tell folks they have two miles left- park the car - get out or else.

Not necessarily true. They’d only be able to take an action the current installed FW allows them to make. With the Florida bit, every 60 was software-limited, with the built-in ability to be unlocked to the full 75. If the firmware doesn’t allow the kind of control over the car you suggest, then Tesla can’t do much. They could push an update allowing them to do that, but(at least currently), people can choose whether or not to install.

Did TESLA ask anyone to extend range to the Florida evacuees? That's a significant alteration to vehicle capability - while many would agree that it was a positive in light of the circumstances -you could just as easily tell folks they have two miles left- park the car - get out or else.

A capability is a capability - that can be used positively or negatively. You know - I've said for years there is good reason to have a vehicle without a single computer in it - and I do - a 1965 Ford F100 - so that no matter what happens - you can be entirely self-contained at least until the fuel runs out. . . .
Battlestar Galatica?

What’s the point? When their drone sees your F150 driving solo down the freeway it’ll just light you up (even if you are hauling plenty of guns and ammo to protect yourself from such a tyrannical government!) I’ve never understood the government paranoia posture in a system where the people get to select the government.

Reactions: deonb

Sure they can do that. Once... But presumably Tesla doesn't want to get themselves sued into oblivion.