Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chicken Genius who correctly predicted $150 is now calling for $60 TSLA
this guy has a far better record than me (although i still am far wealthier despite TSLA flash crash of 14 months) so i will not bet against him
but i really have a hard time seeing that -85% drop off $414
i guess it could happen
i have been wrong numerous times before
i am taking my chances, doing nothing, staying super long TSLA despite all doomsday warnings
if Chicken is right, at least it will be fun to see all my hard earned profits disappear into nothingness

His price target depends on Tesla having to sell the cars for no profit. Will that happen? When? I don't even think Tesla knows how will demand be long term given the $7500 incentive. What happens if the Fed starts to pivot?

i am taking my chances, doing nothing, staying super long TSLA despite all doomsday warnings
if Chicken is right, at least it will be fun to see all my hard earned profits disappear into nothingness

You have a weird idea of what the term "hard earned profits" means. ;)

I know of no easier way to make large sums of money than by investing. The lottery is too unreliable to count.

Personally I don't buy the tax loss harvesting. Like whose killing it in 2022 that they have to harvest losses? If one is selling TSLA at this low... for taxes, like it does not compute for me?
If you made profits earlier in the year tax loss selling now makes sense. I've been dumping some of my losers for which I don't see a possibility of a quick turn around. Tesla hasn't been in that group for me but it could be for some.

Yes, I live near that port.
It has been for quite some time.
Tesla is doing all they can to transport the cars to their final destination.
There are not enough drivers I heared, but there are also cars transported by train.
According to this tweet it’s because of storm:

It doesn’t look stormy weather to me tough.

I doubt the cars on these ships would have been able to be delivered this year even without shipping delays. Unless Tesla organises delivery at the harbour, which is not impossible

The car importers and lease companies in Belgium predict the sudden end of the plug-in hybrid era for company cars in Belgium:

The first half of 2023 they expect to sell a lot of plug-in hybrids to company car owners, but it will abruptly stop the first of July due to a change in the tax rules for company cars.
They expect the second half of 2023 to see a market share of 80% for EV’s in the company car market.

One of Tesla's key advantages over legacy makers in terms of margins is that Tesla can respond with pricing changes very quickly to changes in demand.
And for many other carmakers the opposite is true, if their EVs are making a profit at all, it is paper thin, Their ICE car sales are on thinner margins that Tesla. their debt levels are higher than Tesla.

Tesla can be nimble about introducing newer cheaper models including single motor models with a smaller pack.

Tesla can introduce new paint colors, and give discounts on software and Supercharging to drive sales.

4680 cell production is still a big area of potential price advantage especially with the IRA.

Tesla has other income streams, energy storage, insurance, etc.

Opportunities for more sales will arise because competitors are struggling, factories will be closed, production ramps delayed, inventory will be sold for a loss compounding bad financials. If they can't sell for a good price, they need to cut production. After the initial inventory is consumed inventory growth will be slow, after the recession demand might exceed supply as factories are slowly started/restarted.

Vey few will have the courage and the funds, to invest in significant new production during a recession. if the industry transitions for ICE to EV during the recession that is more challenging. My experience is that economic downturns are a change accelerator, weaker companies and products are often culled.

Last edited:
According to this tweet it’s because of storm:

It doesn’t look stormy weather to me tough.

I doubt the cars on these ships would have been able to be delivered this year even without shipping delays. Unless Tesla organises delivery at the harbour, which is not impossible

How many vehicles do we think are on these ships?

Reactions: tslalala
Yup, tax loss harvesting doesn't really drive any gigantic selling pressure like we see lately. Margin calls, options, and a re-rating for the stock until proven otherwise is all in order.

Institutions are most likely not going to allow Tesla to have a 800 billion dollar market cap going into a recessionary year. What Musk said on the call yesterday was his way to communicating that it's not politics or twitter, but margin erosion likely due to recession next year. (I also can't help but feel Elon is being defensive here about his behavior while spewing some FUD about interest rates causing a decrease in demand due to pricing)

Now I don't agree with dropping prices to spark demand. Why can't Tesla just have a refresh? This is how the auto industry drives demand and I see it having a MAJOR affect on Tesla especially when their cars doesn't change for like 5 years. Change out the front lights and bumper, add a hud, call it a day.
Changing exterior trim for the sake of change is not first principals thinking IMO.

You don't want to do something major like the S refresh, but a simple cosmetic refresh should always be queued up somewhere. I feel like legacy auto refresh their look every 2 years without any production disruptions.
Wow, we're wondering how to fix Tesla by learning how legacy OEMs do things? It's gotten that bad?? Next we'll add dealerships for that 'personal touch'???

IMHO, Tesla has no problem in product development. Their current issues are the many industries and financial institutions that want them to fail because of disruption, no advertising, etc. That and Elon's antics.

I agree with @insaneoctane, a financial incentive is a practical way (and only at Tesla's disposal given their profit margin) to address self-induced brand image issues and recession- and COVID- induced waning demand.

I’ve been driving with FSD for over a year. The only reason it isn’t perfect is because it has obvious blind spots. The logic is there. I think the world is in for a surprise when they add a couple more cameras. And I’d bet that Tesla will retrofit any extra hardware necessary, for free. Why do you think they charge so much for FSD?

I want Tesla to do whatever it takes to bankrupt legacy auto. Sell the cars at break even, I don’t care. Put them out of their misery. Burn them. Become a monopoly. You are invested in a 40x more expensive iPhone on wheels without a competitor in sight. Everyone will have one. Everyone will be driven in one.

And for many other carmakers the opposite is true, if their EVs are making a profit at all, it is paper thin, Their ICE car sales are on thinner margins that Tesla. their debt levels are higher than Tesla.

I agree, particular with regards to newer lower end models as you suggested. They could almost sneak 2 models in under the Model Y LR. The Model Y AWD they already sort of released, and a Model Y RWD with slightly lower range. It is a bit fraught for them to discount existing models though. Taking a months long model vacation like they did with the Model 3 should work though.
Opportunities for more sales will arise because competitors are struggling, factories will be closed, production ramps delayed, inventory will be sold for a loss compounding bad financials. If they can't sell for a good price, they need to cut production. After the initial inventory is consumed inventory growth will be slow, after the recession demand might exceed supply as factories are slowly start/restarted.

Vey few will have the courage and the funds, to invest in significant new production during a recession. if the industry transitions for ICE to EV during the recession that is more challenging. My experience is that economic downturns are a change accelerator, weaker companies and products are often culled.
Most of the legacy automakers are going to need financing to get their next leg of EV production going. That is going to be quite painful over the next couple of years. Particularly since GM and Ford are already so debt laden.

Wow, we're wondering how to fix Tesla by learning how legacy OEMs do things? It's gotten that bad?? Next we'll add dealerships for that 'personal touch'???

IMHO, Tesla has no problem in product development. Their current issues are the many industries and financial institutions that want them to fail because of disruption, no advertising, etc. That and Elon's antics.

I agree with @insaneoctane, a financial incentive is a practical way (and only at Tesla's disposal given their profit margin) to address self-induced brand image issues and recession- and COVID- induced waning demand.
Would you say the same about the cosmetic changes the 3 has seen so far? I wouldn't. Chrome delete was smart, as was replacing the older interior trim pieces.

The real driver of demand is FSD because no other car has this. However it's not complete and we don't know when it'll be complete to the point where it actually starts pulling demand. In the mean time, there's nothing wrong with minor refreshes. Tesla have already done many of these over the past 5 years.

The real driver of demand is FSD because no other car has this. However it's not complete and we don't know when it'll be complete to the point where it actually starts pulling demand. In the mean time, there's nothing wrong with minor refreshes. Tesla have already done many of these over the past 5 years.
I'm fine with continuous improvement, which Tesla does continuously, unlike the OEMs who use it inefficiently.

BTW @Nocturnal , I think the chrome delete / black looks awesome on white, but I prefer chrome on the red and blue models. Regardless, again, I'm fine with improvements, just not the "IT'S THE NEW 2025 TESLA MODEL 3!! HIGHER PRICE FOR COSMETIC CHANGES!!" approach of OEMs. Bells & whistles.