Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have been affected, Teslafi now presents average batt temps and range for each update version. Something to wave around at the SC as you try to explain what Tesla has done to your car.

It is under the "My updates" tab...
I don't think that's avg battery temp. I checked the change logs on teslafi to find more information but from the description all I can gather is that's just the avg temps you recorded while driving while on that software version.

I don't think that's avg battery temp. I checked the change logs on teslafi to find more information but from the description all I can gather is that's just the avg temps you recorded while driving while on that software version.

OK, probably true, since car is sleeping most of the time.

The important part is that it can help show a drop in range that was caused by an update...

Reactions: jkennebeck
That brings me down to 190-195 miles of rated range. Down from 270 when it was new. F***
Maybe I'm biased since my last EV only made it 6 years / 60k miles before needing a new battery (a 2011 LEAF) due to capacity loss (was down under 70% of the original capacity), but to get 270k miles and still have 70% remaining seems decent in the same amount of time. Yeah, since you drive a lot a new battery would do wonders, but I have to wonder if getting a replacement pack from @wk057 for $4500 isn't a bad deal.

On the other hand, based on the fact that your car is having problems charging to 100%, that seems to be a sign of an out-of-balance pack, probably caused by one or more modules being significantly weaker than the rest and will probably qualify for warranty replacement soon.

I have been affected by #chargegate, but was not aware that people suffering from reduced charging speed (but not capped) were being encouraged to file NHTSA complaints. #chargegate in and of itself is not a safety concern, is it?

That’s what I’ve been saying.

Do we have a case for a lawsuit? Yes.

Is this a safety issue that warrants a potential recall? In my opinion, no.

Maybe I'm biased since my last EV only made it 6 years / 60k miles before needing a new battery (a 2011 LEAF) due to capacity loss (was down under 70% of the original capacity), but to get 270k miles and still have 70% remaining seems decent in the same amount of time. Yeah, since you drive a lot a new battery would do wonders, but I have to wonder if getting a replacement pack from @wk057 for $4500 isn't a bad deal.

On the other hand, based on the fact that your car is having problems charging to 100%, that seems to be a sign of an out-of-balance pack, probably caused by one or more modules being significantly weaker than the rest and will probably qualify for warranty replacement soon.

I know it's hard to keep track of this entire thread, but I have said multiple times that my pack is not out of balance. 4-5 mV at 90% or higher is pretty good. When near empty the difference is greater but that's normal and all packs do that. Not being able to charge to 100% came with the software clipping of the voltage and many others that are affected have noticed the same problem since they got hit.

270k miles is indeed a lot, but that doesn't justify the battery crippling. Without it I would have 234 miles.

$4500 for a newish 90 pack is not a bad deal, but at this point I will wait for the lawsuit to end. Although, given how long those can be dragged out, I might run out of patience. I'm worried Tesla will do everything they can to drag this out.

Last edited:
I am dying to know the mediation discussions...

Tesla: We took away 10 we give you back 2 ok?
David: Cut the jokes and give me a new battery
Tesla: We took away 10 we give you back 3 ok?
Tesla: We will not give you a new battery. Your battery is just fine and what we give you back is out of our unparalleled generosity

Maybe to wait for the NHTSA outcome first
that's last. There are no steps between nhtsa outcome and recall - they issue it and the only delay between their outcome is the time it takes for Tesla to comply and notify you to set up a repair appointment.

The reason it's so important to report to the nhtsa is to make sure it's high on their priority list. They're very understaffed.

that's last. There are no steps between nhtsa outcome and recall - they issue it and the only delay between their outcome is the time it takes for Tesla to comply and notify you to set up a repair appointment.

The reason it's so important to report to the nhtsa is to make sure it's high on their priority list. They're very understaffed.
I love your pic by the way. Brilliant.

Had a scare this morning. Notified by Teslafi car went offline for more than 5 minutes (my alarm). Went to check it out. MCU completely blank. No boot cycle or anything. After a few minutes I finally gave it the two fingered salute and it came back up first time with no reboot cycle.

I've never seen it completely dead before. I've had some scary reboot cycles and even once where it cycled for a half hour until I did a manual two finger reset.

Had a scare this morning. Notified by Teslafi car went offline for more than 5 minutes (my alarm). Went to check it out. MCU completely blank. No boot cycle or anything. After a few minutes I finally gave it the two fingered salute and it came back up first time with no reboot cycle.

I've never seen it completely dead before. I've had some scary reboot cycles and even once where it cycled for a half hour until I did a manual two finger reset.
I had the MCU crash once with a black screen many months ago. I was away for 2 weeks and the app was behaving bizarrely (I don't remember the specifics). When I got back to the car it was just as you described. I rebooted it, and all was fine. No issues since.

Just a quick update from my car. Rated range is now down to 209. I can't charge to 100% (9 out of 10 times it stops at 95-96%) I have to subtract another 9 miles. Since the software 'update' my car shut down 3 times before 0% (it never did this before) so I have to subtract another 5-10 miles safety at the bottom. That brings me down to 190-195 miles of rated range. Down from 270 when it was new. F***

The car shutting down BEFORE reaching 0 miles Range is the reason Tesla Bjørn had battery replaced on his Tesla Model X. Why is this not covered by warranty?