Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm I originally thought Starship engine lights were staggered, RVacs first followed by the SL Raptors, but re-watching the HUD on the webcast, they all show lighting at once...

Anything you've seen if they were all at 100%? Do you think the RVacs lighting at 100% at hot stage T-0 would be sufficient to pull away?
The telemetry shows 1-1.5 second delay. However, clamp release is after some (all?) are lit.
Ship needs to keep TWR > booster TWR (with 3 @ 50%) to maintain separation beyond impingement zone. That requires all 3 rVacs at 100%, I think. Near field requirements are less due to pushback.
Vacuum don't gimbal though...

Reactions: Grendal
The telemetry shows 1-1.5 second delay. However, clamp release is after some (all?) are lit.
Ship needs to keep TWR > booster TWR (with 3 @ 50%) to maintain separation beyond impingement zone. That requires all 3 rVacs at 100%, I think. Near field requirements are less due to pushback.
Vacuum don't gimbal though...
OK so there was a delay/staggered engine lights... I thought I had seen that, with the discussion that the engine bells for the SL Raptors are practically touching the HSR dome, so it's nice to avoid blasting them at point blank range.

So 3 RVacs at 100% is enough to get separation... It would be interesting to look at the acceleration profile and see if the booster slowdown was aligned with the initial RVac light, or the subsequent SL Raptorr light...

OK so there was a delay/staggered engine lights... I thought I had seen that, with the discussion that the engine bells for the SL Raptors are practically touching the HSR dome, so it's nice to avoid blasting them at point blank range.

So 3 RVacs at 100% is enough to get separation... It would be interesting to look at the acceleration profile and see if the booster slowdown was aligned with the initial RVac light, or the subsequent SL Raptorr light...
I think it aligns with clamp release. Likely, all engines were running then with sea level splayed outward.

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
I think it aligns with clamp release. Likely, all engines were running then with sea level splayed outward.
Ah, so the engines lights were staggered by 1-1.5 secs, but all prior to release.

So I wonder,

1) Were all engines @ 100% at release
2) if so, what would be a reduced amount of thrust sufficient to pull away, albeit more slowly
3) Could that be satisfied with just the RVacs (being nicer to the HSR dome) prior to release
4) Would that profile solve the fuel slosh issues

Ah, so the engines lights were staggered by 1-1.5 secs, but all prior to release.

So I wonder,

1) Were all engines @ 100% at release
2) if so, what would be a reduced amount of thrust sufficient to pull away, albeit more slowly
3) Could that be satisfied with just the RVacs (being nicer to the HSR dome) prior to release
4) Would that profile solve the fuel slosh issues
1) It seems they might have been high output. Really rough numbers: Starship loaded = 1500 tons, Booster 500 tons, with 350 tons thust, 2G momentary deceleration = 2*500+350 = 1350 tons from Ship. Could also look at Manley's slow mo for Ship acceleration
2) see previous post
3) barely, but minimal attitude control
4) staying positive definitely would help

Could also look at Manley's slow mo for Ship acceleration
I did a spreadsheet based on the telemetry. Rough numbers at two second intervals suggest that they were throttling up for roughly 10 seconds after staging. The initial thrust looks to be about 30%, then it jumps to 60% after two seconds, then ramps linearly to 100% over the next eight. The 30% number would be contributed to by the gimballed sea level Raptors, but it could also be that SpaceX wanted them that low, and there's undoubtedly sampling error.

With those numbers, Starship acceleration starts at about 0.15 g and ramps up to 0.55 g at full power. That's based purely on the change in velocity.

I did a spreadsheet based on the telemetry. Rough numbers at two second intervals suggest that they were throttling up for roughly 10 seconds after staging. The initial thrust looks to be about 30%, then it jumps to 60% after two seconds, then ramps linearly to 100% over the next eight. The 30% number would be contributed to by the gimballed sea level Raptors, but it could also be that SpaceX wanted them that low, and there's undoubtedly sampling error.

With those numbers, Starship acceleration starts at about 0.15 g and ramps up to 0.55 g at full power. That's based purely on the change in velocity.
Cool, did that take into account pitch and gravity?
Main separation event was under 4 seconds, but with only km/hr, the fidelity is lacking to extract much.
15 degrees of gimbal only cuts axial thrust of sea level engines by 3.5% and those are halfish of total thrust.

Good point, trading thrust for time, area under the curve, math...
50 years ago I could do integrals but then I stopped thinking about calculus so not going to attempt it now!

The interactions between the two vehicles at stage sep, fluid dynamics in the tanks during the flip, optimum engine throttle settings needed; it seems it is going to take several more test flights to get that all right. But hopefully on the next flight the ships engines will be able to finish their planned burn and the ship re-entry technique can start to be tested.

Great discussion everyone, keep it up.

Cool, did that take into account pitch and gravity?
The acceleration numbers are just based on change in velocity. I was only interested in the ability of Starship to move away from the booster. I didn't even notice the Starship pitch diagram.

Going back to figure the total acceleration, the pitch angle at separation is 28 degrees, which means that Starship was fighting another 0.46 g due to gravity. So total acceleration from the engines at staging was about 0.61 g, ramping up to about 1 g (but still the same throttle levels, I think). I think that works out, given that neither sea level nor vacuum engines are optimized for 90 km altitude.

Main separation event was under 4 seconds, but with only km/hr, the fidelity is lacking to extract much.
I don't follow. I tracked changes in velocity at the point where it started increasing after staging (stack acceleration dropped to zero at one point). Starship fired its engines, which accelerated the stack a touch, then separation. The velocity increased for 10 seconds, then leveled off. What other data are we unable to extract?

I don't follow. I tracked changes in velocity at the point where it started increasing after staging (stack acceleration dropped to zero at one point). Starship fired its engines, which accelerated the stack a touch, then separation. The velocity increased for 10 seconds, then leveled off. What other data are we unable to extract?
Throttle levels at separation. One second at 50%, one second at 80% looks like 65% on a 2 second scale (illustratively).

Throttle levels at separation. One second at 50%, one second at 80% looks like 65% on a 2 second scale (illustratively).
Well, sure. I was content to just get into the ballpark. I could have gone frame by frame for more accurate numbers, but I didn't figure we cared that much.

How did you figure this out? Hopefully not from the animation !
Screen grab, then use GIMP to measure the angle. It was the most straightforward way to get it.

Well, sure. I was content to just get into the ballpark. I could have gone frame by frame for more accurate numbers, but I didn't figure we cared that much.

Screen grab, then use GIMP to measure the angle. It was the most straightforward way to get it.
From the animation on the bottom, correct? That animation I believe is not even close to reality. It is a a very coarse approximation just to give an idea.

It would seem that if the thought is that that thrust impingement on the front of the booster caused rapid reduction in acceleration, leading to fuel slosh, you'd need to keep the booster thrust up as well. Obviously not to the point of ramming starship, but having Starship pull away at half the rate it did originally, you'd want to keep the booster throttled up to minimize prop slosh, no? You might need another couple of secs to gain clearance before starting the flip maneuver, which would actually beurn more fuel...
All true. There are lots of factors at play here. Booster needs to keep its acceleration high enough to keep the propellant settled, which requires less thrust if Starship is also at reduced throttle during separation. Conveniently (and counterintuitively), halving Starship's acceleration relative to Booster does not double the amount of time it needs to achieve a given separation distance; it only increases it by about 40%. There's a wide variety of parameters SpaceX can play with, and probably a wide range of solutions that will be reasonably close to optimal. I'm looking forward to seeing their analysis and how they choose to solve it for IFT-3.

To be clear, when you say "initial thrust looks to be about 30%", that's 30% of the total thrust, not those engines throttled at 30%, which I assume you are saying, as I don't believe Raptors can throttle that low.

If half the engines are providing 30% of the total eventual thrust, then Those 3 engines are throttled in the ballpark of 60% (assuming SLRaps and VacRaps are about the same efficiency at that altitude).

Not a lot of margin to reduce thrust if so...

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
50 years ago I could do integrals but then I stopped thinking about calculus so not going to attempt it now!

The interactions between the two vehicles at stage sep, fluid dynamics in the tanks during the flip, optimum engine throttle settings needed; it seems it is going to take several more test flights to get that all right. But hopefully on the next flight the ships engines will be able to finish their planned burn and the ship re-entry technique can start to be tested.

Great discussion everyone, keep it up.

SpaceX no doubt has huge amounts of telemetric data, and can determine exactly what happened.... with access to the real data, this is just a math exercise.

Given the demonstrated ability to make significant changes to address issues from IFT-1 to -2 (Stage zero, engine starts, engine failures, fire suppression, FTS upgrades, shielding, etc... ) not to mention the ability to model and implement hot staging hardware and processes that were remarkably successful initially, I'd be VERY surprised if it took them "several more test flights to get them all right".

Undoubtedly, they'll continue to make ongoing improvements, but it would not surprise me to have it work for IFT-3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal and ecarfan
To be clear, when you say "initial thrust looks to be about 30%", that's 30% of the total thrust, not those engines throttled at 30%, which I assume you are saying, as I don't believe Raptors can throttle that low.
Correct. I was specifying thrust, not throttle. There's no way for me to know the throttle level based on acceleration in such a complex environment.