Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sdiver68 22 M3LR build thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Want to first thank forum members for being such an invaluable resource for me starting well before buying mine in August 2022.

20220819_145217.jpg

So far I've just done the usual small stuff. Frunk cooler, all weather mats, cubby organizers, removed wheel covers, etc.

But then "almost year 2" fever hit and thought about buying a new car. Even rented a C8 Corvette for a day to play in the Canyons around Phoenix as a test drive.

20240215_141938.jpg

Honesty, as much as I loved that car, the Tesla is a much better daily.

So my enhanced street sport sedan build begins with the following Phase 1 parts:

Ordered
Unplugged Performance front fascia
Adro CF rear diffuser

Planned
RPM Performance Plus rear spoiler when in stock
Acceleration Boost (via referral)

Still Researching
Wheels
Suspension

Much more to come, but thought to post this, a bit on my background in racing:

So I love this diffuser, but wish the custom matte CF was a few shades darker towards black. As is, I'd consider the color anthracite particularly in daylight.

In hindsight, and still a possibility if I want to uninstall and reinstall is to matte clear the diffuser again with some darker tint added. The problem with that of course is now every CF part I buy I must pay to have the clear done in a matched way. Another issue is that even though the OEM black trim is "matte", it's really more of a black semi-matte. Combined with the other black bits on the upper part of the car, I'm really starting to think Glossy CF is the way to go.

I want to do CF rear view mirror covers, side view camera covers, rear spoiler, and already installed rear diffuser at least.

So I'm considering a few options:

1) Wrap every CF piece in vvivid XPO (non-glossy) black vinyl
2) Go back to glossy on the diffuser since this matches the car's stock black trim better. I'm not sure how this will turn out though and it's an expensive part.
3) Learn to love Anthracite and use matte for everything
4) The only CF part on the car is the rear diffuser, keep mirrors/camera covers stock and body color rear spoiler
5) Lower parts in Anthracite, upper parts in glossy black CF. Everyone says to not mix but I've seen this color mix done on many OEM cars.

Honestly, I'm leaning toward option 1 even though wrapping a finned diffuser is a PITA. I think it's the only way I can make sure everything matches to the exact finish I want. Thoughts?

Oh and my new UP front fasica arrived today. Looks like it will fit better but have to mount obviously to know for sure.

Going to 1 of the best wrap/tint/ppf installers in the area today to review options. Perhaps have a few more options other than what's listed above.

6) Go ahead with the matte CF parts and then use tinted ppf to darken. This will be $$ for the diffuser in particular but perhaps the only way to get the consistent look I want. An idea I have based on another video of .ppf wrapping a complex Ferrari diffuser with no available pattern to make it a little more budget friendly is the lower finned part might be able to be left non-wrapped since it never washes out in direct sunlight. Will rely on advice of pros for this idea.

Finally, I think it's the contrast of black trim vs CF that I'm not in love with, so thinking about using the same dry carbon wrap on the trim. TBD.

In the meantime I took 2 videos of glossy vs matte carbon fiber parts on Tesla Blue. Only posting here because it's hard to find many direct comparisons online. In both cases the opposite parts are on the hood.

Last edited:
Why did UP have to send you a new front fascia?