Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SavedClips missing files

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last several clips I've attempted to save from my Tesla Model Y have only saved the event.json and thumb.png files. There are no mp4 files. I've searched various sites and discussion boards but haven't found anything about this particular issue. Does anyone know why these files are missing or whether there's any way to recover them?

1715042978961.png

I had the same issue. In my case, Sentry videos were still working normally, but saved Dashcam folders just had thumb.png and event.json, and they didn't show up at all in the in-car viewer's list of saved clips. (When saving, the UI would still report "saved", so it was failing for months before I noticed.)

I think it was caused by filesystem corruption, which in turn was caused by disconnecting the drive while in use.
  • The last successful dashcam recording was from just before I took the drive out to save crash evidence.
  • When I connected the drive to my computer, I could delete old Sentry folders, but just got errors if I tried to delete files from old Dashcam folders.
Filesystem repair software probably would have worked, but I didn't bother.

I reformatted the drive (exFAT), created a TeslaCam folder, and put it back in the car. Works now.

Upvote 0