Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PW3/PW+ Inverter EMI (high frequency transients on wiring)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested in experiences regarding high frequency transients and harmonics on home electrical circuits after solar inverter installs (PW3/PW+).

Whilst I understand inverters typically have internal filters to minimise these effects I've heard they can still be significant.

What additionally can be done during an install to further filter inverter output?

For context, looking to get a Powerwall 3 and solar install shortly.

Interested in experiences regarding high frequency transients and harmonics on home electrical circuits after solar inverter installs (PW3/PW+).

Whilst I understand inverters typically have internal filters to minimise these effects I've heard they can still be significant.

What additionally can be done during an install to further filter inverter output?

For context, looking to get a Powerwall 3 and solar install shortly.
I am not sure about your local grid conditions, but here in California I work for a solar installer. We have never had any issues related to harmonics with any on grid systems. Most inverters are rated for a THD of less than 5%

Off-grid systems that never see a grid and have to balance a generator and Solar+ storage can have issues here, but I don't think this is your concern.

Since we have never had issues with harmonics I cant suggest a solution. As far as voltage transients, I recommend the best surge protector you can afford.

If you have specific concerns on some piece of electrical hardware that is specially sensitive to transients and harmonics, then I think the issue is about isolating that piece of equipment.

If this is a general solar specific concern, I would have no concerns about harmonics and transients with solar and inverters/microinverters, IF and only IF, you use a major manufacturer, with UL and EESS (the Australian electrical certification authority) registrations.

I might have some concerns about your neighborhood wiring, but that is not the question being asked here.

I would second the thought of installing a whole house surge protector, as well as enough individual surge protectors to protect your electronics. The two types do different things. Again, my recommendation is to buy from large, established manufacturers with a long history of production quality, and who carry UL/EESS registrations.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Vines