Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerTower

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggr

Expert in Dunning-Kruger Effect!
Mar 24, 2011
San Diego, CA
Referral Code
I think that the (boringly named) Powerpacks should be made to be vertically stackable, and renamed "PowerTower"((tm), but I'll give the trademark to Tesla.)

Based on the photo of Elon beside a Powerpack at the launch, I estimate them to be about 5' x 18" x 18". That's 11.25'^3.

Now the Washington Monument works out to be about 1,125,000'^3. So a really nice PowerTower would be 100,000 of these, and store 10GWh! And good to look at, too! And even less footprint than a single pixel at the corner of Texas!

I kind of like Powerpack name. It is power packed in a pack, just waiting to be used. Catchy descriptive adequate.

Tesla Power Tower may be a next generation product, who knows. Something similar to original N. Tesla tower, Wardenclyffe Tower, for wireless transmission. That would be something to blow us all away metaphorically only

I think that the (boringly named) Powerpacks should be made to be vertically stackable, and renamed "PowerTower"((tm), but I'll give the trademark to Tesla.)

Based on the photo of Elon beside a Powerpack at the launch, I estimate them to be about 5' x 18" x 18". That's 11.25'^3.

Now the Washington Monument works out to be about 1,125,000'^3. So a really nice PowerTower would be 100,000 of these, and store 10GWh! And good to look at, too! And even less footprint than a single pixel at the corner of Texas!

The PowerPack already has the modules stacked vertically within it... just inside a full size rack:

tesla-powerpack-battery-600.jpg

Make each shelf an enclosed stackable module with pass-through connctors that sits on a common base with electrical and cooling hardware, and off you go. For bonus points make each module look like a giant Lego block.

Low hanging fruit are places like California and USA with ample land for utilities to put simple cheap earthquake-and-hurricane resistant shorter stacks with easier air flow analysis and delivery and installation equipment and support structures and easy access. It makes sense that other formats could be used in other niche high-density or low-land-area spots. I wouldn't be surprised if highrises temporarily just put a pack per floor or something, using existing standard building structures, mounting current short (5') stacks on concrete slab floors, for instance; current delivery and installation techniques even in that scenario would be comparatively trivial compared to your tower concept.

Look at computer hosting buildings: they basically have the same concept of human-height racks, or close to it.

Building on the rack idea, probably Tesla rack mount modules could compete in the in-rack UPS business for computer racks in computer floors. Then they could have a few stacks in utility rooms for their A/C units. You ought to look at some of the CAT buildings* installed by some of these hosting buildings; they are huge, and so are the utility rooms that plug them into the rack energy nets.

* Caterpillar, the supplier and maintainer of many of these huge backup gens.

Last edited: