Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEM-PS Annual True-Up Calculation [PG&E example]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a system and strategy which works, I would suggest you do post it. As a net importer, I am still working to find a good solution, but insights from net exporters have proven helpful to me.

Optimizations depend on which utility, which rate plan, system size, battery count, house and car charging load, so perhaps a new thread on optimizations for PG&E would make sense.
I made a post:

Reactions: swedge
I started getting a new energy statement (blue and white bill) with additional details compared to before. The black and white bill is nowhere to be found. Is this an update everyone is getting? I liked the B&W bill because it showed my monthly NBCs, whereas this newer B&W bill is not as detailed.

Is there a maximum-amount of energy that can be exported before pge stops crediting?
Yes, at least there is supposed to be. Roughly based on your PVWatts calculation, and my understanding was it’s only indicated in your B&W bill (which I’ve never received). The newer detail blue bill has lots of details, but seems to not have your monthly export limits.

I started getting a new energy statement (blue and white bill) with additional details compared to before. The black and white bill is nowhere to be found. Is this an update everyone is getting? I liked the B&W bill because it showed my monthly NBCs, whereas this newer B&W bill is not as detailed.
I never received the B&W bill. Have always received the newer Blue bill…which I feel gives pretty good details (except no indication of monthly export limit).

Is there a maximum-amount of energy that can be exported before pge stops crediting?
Yes there is a ceiling on exported kWh. You will only be credit up to the amount of estimated kWh that your solar array can generate during the period. If you have a Powerewall and are getting the black-and-white bill then you will find this table.

1714660323290.png

You will see the Estimated PV Generation number in multiple places on the bill, but I think that this table is the simplest to understand.

Yes there is a ceiling on exported kWh. You will only be credit up to the amount of estimated kWh that your solar array can generate during the period. If you have a Powerewall and are getting the black-and-white bill then you will find this table.

View attachment 1043722

You will see the Estimated PV Generation number in multiple places on the bill, but I think that this table is the simplest to understand.
Yep, that it is. I have a huge eligible for credit, but never ever get close since with the batteries, heat pumps and EV, I use in the winter basically all the summer. But now, between seasons, with no heat or ac, I am pumping TONS back to PGE. I think the best is like June I have a credit of like -3000 kWh, not bad. :)

Reactions: RKCRLR
So is this on top of the existing $10 minimum billable? If not, then it's a $15 difference for a total of $25. If yes, then they'll be getting $35 / month from us that we can't get out of.
This is what the proposed decision said about the minimum bill.

5.4.1. Minimum Bill - D.15-07-001 authorized minimum bills in lieu of fixed charges for residential customers of the Large Utilities. A minimum bill ensures that customers with no usage or extremely low usage pay for some of the costs incurred on their behalf. D.15-07-001 authorized minimum bills consistent with the prior statutory limit for fixed charges (no higher than $10 per month). Parties generally agreed that a minimum bill will no longer be necessary to ensure that residential customers pay some amount of fixed costs when income-graduated fixed charges are implemented. The Large Utilities argued that the minimum bill structure would be redundant and would add unnecessary complexity to customer bills. SEIA, TURN/NRDC, and Cal Advocates made similar comments in support of removing minimum bills. Only UCAN argued that a minimum bill will remain necessary to ensure that low-usage customers make some payment toward customer-related costs. Because this decision authorizes income-graduated fixed charges for all residential customers, including low-income customers, minimum bills are not necessary to ensure that every low-usage customer will make some payment toward customer-related costs. It is reasonable for the Large Utilities to remove minimum bills from residential rates that include an income-graduated fixed charge.

Currently the monthly MDC charges can be used to offset NBCs. I still haven't seen an answer on whether MDCs are part of this fee, all of this fee, or none of this fee. I.e., can this fee be used to offset NBCs. The answer to this could have a big impact on my bill.

If the reason for the monthly fixed charge is to cover the infrastructure costs then logic dictates NBCs should be eliminated.

Reactions: aesculus
Currently the monthly MDC charges can be used to offset NBCs. I still haven't seen an answer on whether MDCs are part of this fee, all of this fee, or none of this fee. I.e., can this fee be used to offset NBCs. The answer to this could have a big impact on my bill.

If the reason for the monthly fixed charge is to cover the infrastructure costs then logic dictates NBCs should be eliminated.
Some of the non-bypassable charges are included in the minimum charge (fixed charge). From the proposed decision:

The fixed charges shall recover up to 100 percent of the following fixed cost categories: Public Purpose Program non-bypassable charges, New System Generation or Local Generation charges as applicable, and Nuclear Decommissioning non-bypassable charges.

Some of the non-bypassable charges are included in the minimum charge (fixed charge). From the proposed decision:
There are four components that make up the NBCs:
  • $0.02649 - Public Purpose Programs
  • -$0.00259 - Nuclear Decomissioning (yes, it is currently negative since 12/1/2024)
  • $0.00101 - Competition Transition Charge
  • $0.00561 - Wildfire Fund
So, the two that remain would reduce the NBC to $0.00662/kWh. The NEM rules split the NBC components between Distribution and Generation. This is transparent if your generation is also coming from PG&E, SCE, or SDG&E, but when you are with a CCA then these are split out with PPP and ND paid to PG&E and CTC and WF paid to your CCA. This would explain why PPP and ND are included in the fixed fee while the CTC and WF remained on the generation per kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder