Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NASA Announcement for the Moon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprised this thread has been dormant for almost a year. Ironically, the gap might coincide with the extra months Bill Nelson just added to the first human moon landing attempt for NASA's Artemis program. No surprise, 2024 is now off the table. Poor Jeff Bezos, his wasteful HLS lawsuit against NASA is taking most of the blame. Suppose BO is a convenient scapegoat for a timetable that never appeared to be based in reality. Nelson also remains consistent with his unwavering support of the porky Space Launch System. He's reaffirmed that SLS is the only rocket capable, of course with Orion on top.....So, SpaceX's Starship will be NASA's human lander, but in Ballast Bill's eyes, Super Heavy probably only exists over on Planet B. More details from Eric Berger. NASA delays Moon landings, says Blue Origin legal tactics partly to blame
TBF, Starship and Superheavy are not as far along as SLS, even though Starship has actually flown (Prototype and kinda). When they’ve actually heaved a bunch of Starlinks to orbit, then we’ll find out just how committed Nelson is to SLS.

Reviving this thread because it seems more appropriate than the ‘SLS capitulation” thread for discussing the Artemis missions, as the idea that SLS is going to go away any time soon seems fanciful.

NASA still doesn’t understand root cause of Orion heat shield issue

the agency is still looking for the root cause of the heat shield issue. Managers want to be sure they understand the cause before proceeding with Artemis II, which will send astronauts Reid Wiseman, Victor Glover, Christina Koch, and Jeremy Hansen on a 10-day flight around the far side of the Moon.
NASA says that Artemis II won’t fly until it understands why the Orion heat shield ablated excessively and unevenly during the late 2021 mission, but 2 1/2 years later they still haven’t figured it out. :oops:

A comment from the ars technica article comments page:
Why not send it up on a reuseable rocket and launch several variants and do iterative real-world testing until they find a model they’re happy with?

Um.

A comment from the ars technica article comments page:
They don't do it that way because they're not a rocket organization, able to launch stuff when they want to. They're a science and engineering organization, subject to tight budget restrictions. They already have test facilities that allow them to run samples of heat shield material through scale tests. They have computer simulations and engineers who know how to use them. So they use what they have.

It may be that they're simply not as good as the engineers at SpaceX, who constantly look outside the box for solutions. The NASA engineers may be quite myopic in their outlook.

Let's remember too that the NASA engineers may know exactly what's going on with the heat shield, but can't come up with a fix for it. A YouTube commentator observed that this latest approach to the heat shield is just like the 60s approach, but they install the heat shield in prefabricated blocks instead of building the whole thing in place, filling one tiny honeycomb cell at a time with the heat material. He suggests that they just go back to doing it the old way. I assume that they won't do that because of inertia; somebody wants to do the shield in blocks because of the cost savings and the opportunities such an approach offers, and they're going to keep bashing away at it until they figure out how to do it that way. In the end, it'll be a win, but for now it's dragging the timetable out.

Eric Berger:NASA says Artemis II report by its inspector general is unhelpful and redundant
Koerner's remark about redundancy almost certainly reflects the space agency's peevishness with the continual oversight of these bodies. In effect, she is saying, we are already aware of all these issues raised by the inspector general's report. Let us go and work on them.
NASA does not like criticism. But it is only through independent review boards that the public learned the actual cost of a single SLS/Orion mission: $4.2 billion! Which is an obscene amount of money in this age of reusable rockets.

The inspector general report also contained previously unreleased photos of the heavily damaged Orion heat shield after Artemis I. It looks pretty bad and I don’t think any Apollo heat shield ever looked that damaged.

IMG_0764.jpeg

And so far NASA has yet to reveal a fix and continues to say that Artemis II is a go in September 2025. Really?

Last edited:
NASA does not like criticism.
Nobody does, especially when it's comes from an external bureaucracy.

The bit that bothers me is the assumption that the chunks were lost during reentry. Could they have been lost on impact with the ocean? During cooling in atmosphere? I suppose that's all "reentry", except that if the thing came through the extreme phase completely intact, it wouldn't matter.

It looks pretty bad and I don’t think any Apollo heat shield ever looked that damaged.
The NASA engineers are concerned that the shield wasn't ablating as they expected it to, not that it "looks bad". That is, it did something unexpected and they want to understand it. It still did its job and there would have been no danger to the capsule occupants.

If this had been SpaceX, we'd all be patting ourselves on the back at how they move fast and break things, operating on the edge of the envelope and so on.

My immediate reaction to seeing the damage is that all of it is adjacent to a block edge, except for the one that they zoomed in on. In the testing that I saw, they put a small block of the material into a simulated hot air stream, but I never saw a test of two blocks side by side in that stream, mounted as they would be on the capsule.

The one thing that they changed was moving from a monolithic shield to component blocks. If they didn't test that change, that would border on incompetence.

But it is only through independent review boards that the public learned the actual cost of a single SLS/Orion mission: $4.2 billion!
Just in case anyone is confused, that number was reported about a year ago. It's not something that came to light as a result of this heat shield thing.

For the curious, here's the PDF of the May 2023 report from the Inspector General's office. The following quote is reformatted for clarity.

To facilitate its lunar ambitions, NASA is adapting heritage hardware from the Space Shuttle era, including solid rocket boosters and RS-25 rocket engines, to power the Artemis campaign’s Space Launch System (SLS) that will launch the Orion crew capsule to the Moon. From fiscal years 2012 through 2025, NASA’s overall Artemis investment is projected to reach $93 billion, of which the SLS Program costs represent $23.8 billion spent through 2022.

For SLS launches, NASA entered into two booster contracts with Northrop Grumman and two RS-25 engine contracts with Aerojet Rocketdyne. The four contracts, performance periods, and values are:

Boosters—April 2006 to December 2023, $4.4 billion;
Booster Production and Operations Contract (BPOC)—June 2020 to December 2031, $3.2 billion;
Adaptation (RS-25 engines)— June 2006 to September 2020, $2.1 billion; and
RS-25 Restart and Production—November 2015 to September 2029, $3.6 billion

I think your original characterization was accurate. The Orion heat shield is massively more beat up than the Apollo shields. The engineers expected damage - ablation is its job - but not in the manner, and possibly to the degree, that they saw on Orion.

I've seen some of those Apollo heat shields in person, and I think you can also tell in the pics above, and it doesn't seem as severe as those missing chunks on the Orian shield. The ablation was relatively even for the most part, and where there are missing sections, it appears the relatively thin upper layer came away, rather than a deep chunk gone. The discoloration definitely is splotchy though.

Reactions: Grendal
Granted that a Dragon doesn't have the same amount of stress on it compared to an Orion, but I'll bet that SpaceX's PICA-X is a decent step better than your basic PICA that Orion uses.
Orion uses an AVCOAT shield, while Dragon uses PICA. NASA started out testing with PICA, then ended up with AVCOAT. PICA was used on the Stardust mission where it survived 942 W/cm2 peak heat flux. From what I read, Orion requires greater than 1000 W/cm2. Even though it's slower on reentry than Stardust, I guess the much greater mass means that it won't slow down as quickly. So it looks like they went with AVCOAT because it can tolerate higher peak heat flux.

Note that AVCOAT is an epoxy-novolac system, while PICA is an acronym for Phenolic-Impregnated Carbon Ablator.

I'll also add that PICA-X, the SpaceX variant, is ten times less expensive to manufacture than the NASA PICA. Surprising, I know. In 2010, SpaceX started using PICA-3 with Crew Dragon.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and scaesare
From an article in Smithsonian Magazine about the recent NASA OIG report:
The launch of the spacecraft also caused more damage than expected to the mobile launcher, the ground system used to assemble and launch the spacecraft. Elevators, electrical equipment, tubing and other structures incurred damages costing $26 million to fix—more than five times the $5 million NASA had set aside for repairs.

Corrected Link: https://oig.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/ig-24-011.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
Stephen Clark on ars: NASA confirms “independent review” of Orion heat shield issue

There is going to be an independent review of the internal investigation.
"In late April, NASA chartered an independent review team which includes experts outside the agency to conduct an independent evaluation of the investigation results," Kraft said in a statement to Ars. "That review, scheduled to be complete this summer, ensures NASA properly understands this condition and has corrective actions in place for Artemis II and future missions."
I think the key point is that NASA has not said they have identified corrective actions.

"Those pictures, we've seen them since they were taken, but more importantly... we saw it," said Victor Glover, pilot of the Artemis II mission, in a recent interview with Ars. "More than any picture or report, I've seen that heat shield, and that really set the bit for how interested I was in the details."
“…set the bit…”? I don’t understand that phrase in this context. All he seems to be saying is that he has seen the damaged heat shield in person and he is very “interested” in the issue. Well, obviously.

“We’ve got a lot of folks involved that we trust," Glover said. "We’ve got the right people. If there is a solution, we’ll figure it out.”
If”? That makes clear to me that at this time NASA does not have a solution and has not yet determined if a solution is even possible. The publicly stated launch date is NET September 2025. I know that date is generally considered to be unrealistic, though of course the NET part is a huge fudge factor. But if the heat shield that is already installed on the Orion capsule has to be physically redesigned I don’t see how Artemis II can be a crewed mission, that seems too risky for NASA. And that’s essentially what they are saying.
"We have a lot of extrapolation for scale that we have to do," said Jeremy Sander Kam, deputy manager for Orion's heat shield at NASA's Ames Research Center, shortly after the Artemis I mission in 2022. "Similarly, our test facilities can't reach the combination of heat flux, pressure, shear stresses, etc., that an actual reentering spacecraft does. We're always having to wait for the flight test to get the final certification that our system is good to go."

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
The sad thing is that NASA had this technology in 1969 for the Apollo missions, and now apparently doesn't.

I think the issue is the size and mass as compared to the Apollo command modules. A quick search says the Apollo CM was ~12K lbs, whereas the Starliner is ~29K. And quick math says the Starliner's larger diameter yields 57% greater surface area on the bottom, which I undoubtedly plays in to it as well...

That having been said, I assume Avcoat is superior to the Apollo-era materials, but I don't know specifically how they compare...

Reactions: Cosmacelf
“…set the bit…”? I don’t understand that phrase in this context.
I assume it's an equestrian reference, suggesting that he was all-in.

If not, he's an extreme geek, and it's a computer reference.

If”? That makes clear to me that at this time NASA does not have a solution and has not yet determined if a solution is even possible.
I think he was using a phrase that was intended to convey his confidence in the team, not to suggest how difficult the problem is. After all, he did say "set the bit", so his use of English may be slightly removed from the vernacular we're used to seeing from spaceflight companies.

That having been said, I assume Avcoat is superior to the Apollo-era materials, but I don't know specifically how they compare...
They both use AVCOAT. Apollo's construction was monolithic, while Orion uses blocks that are bonded to the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare