Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience taking Tesla to court about FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not looking to wind anybody up but this thread shows the cult of personality, that being Elon Musk. I can’t believe people were so naive to pay all that money for FSD expecting it within the lifetime of their car. By FSD I mean asking your car to drive you to work for example with no inputs, but still ready to take over.
I would guesstimate that kind of autonomous driving is a decade away in the US with mass adoption working reliably and no accidents. Probably 2-3 decades away in the UK with our notoriously complex road systems. Tesla can’t even get the basics right like cruise control (phantom braking) and auto lane change (scarily abandons mid change). Tesla’s auto park is a disgrace, still. All of these miles behind legacy car manufacturers, especially the German brands that’s do everything perfectly.
It probably does need government intervention to act on behalf of mislead consumers.

The problem is there is no middle ground. For every person that believes in Tesla/Elon/FSD etc etc there are just as many people like yourself that believe they are the devil and that when you make statements like "German brands that do everything perfectly", to me at least, you lose all credibility.

Tesla have done a LOT for the industry in general, especially EV's. Have they made and continue to make some huge mistakes along the way? Oh god yes but if you watch enough videos of FSD in the USA, both the good AND the bad you, you will see that what they have achieved is incredible.

Is it ready for prime time? Hell no
Is it ready for release anywhere outside of the states? Even more no.

But watching a car navigate it's way around purely based on what it can see and making decisions every second based on that when the best we have to offer is Ford Bluecruise which, when you've actually used it for any length of time, you realise what a con job it is because it only works on pre mapped out designated routes. Soon as our beloved men in yellow throw out a few cones, you can forget about it.

Redo a junction or move some paint? Nope, all over.

I knew what I was getting into 3 years ago. The mistake I made wasn't neccesarily trusting in FSD, because if I had what our stateside cousins have right now, I'd be more than happy with that mix of paying attention whilst letting the car take control, which is what I do day in day out anyway, whether it be on regular cruise control, radar controlled cruise control, blue cruise etc based on whatever vehicle I am driving at the time.

The mistake I made was thinking that, due to the differences in our road designs, layouts and of course legislation, they would release a FSD that we could actually use over here instead of being so laser focused on the states.

Reactions: KennethS
(removed)
Probably can’t sign a confidentiality clause now. 🙃

Interesting that they’re not offering the interest on the claimed amount. It’s called “statutory interest”, which means they’re obliged to pay it unless you’re claiming against a contract that stipulates otherwise (presumably a better percentage), or if you didn’t specify it in the original claim.

Given the amount of money involved, and how much this interest would add up to, I wouldn’t accept their offer.

Reactions: ACarneiro
That would be a tough one for me.....depends if you have the energy/willpower to keep fighting it but you've gone this far so don't see why not.

Gotta be looking at what, £800 interest give or take?

Or it was by company so might be totally different rates compared to mine.
8% is the statutory rate. Applies to everyone I believe.

Tesla promised FSD Beta by the end of 2019, and for some time in 2020 by the end of that year.

£5,800 @ 8% interest is £464 a year. If we say that at the very latest it should have been delivered by the end of 2020 (they changed the wording to “upcoming” in that year) then that’s at least £1,392 of interest, not counting days elapsed this year (@ ~£1.27 a day)

If @Hot shot bought their car in 2019 then you can add another £464 to that.

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
8% is the statutory rate. Applies to everyone I believe.

Tesla promised FSD Beta by the end of 2019, and for some time in 2020 by the end of that year.

£5,800 @ 8% interest is £464 a year. If we say that at the very latest it should have been delivered by the end of 2020 (they changed the wording to “upcoming” in that year) then that’s at least £1,392 of interest, not counting days elapsed this year (@ ~£1.27 a day)

If @Hot shot bought their car in 2019 then you can add another £464 to that.

Twice the interest I paid then. But I was of the understanding you would be charging interest for the entirety of the loan, "upcoming or no" you paid for FSD when you purchased the car and 3/4/5 years later when you paid off the finance, you still didn't have FSD.

Quick update:
I bought my M3P in mid 2019 with FSD
A few months ago I saw this thread and paid close attention to it.
I had some correspondence with Ed, who is an awesome individual
Some other things then happened that I'm not going to discuss for legal reasons
This morning I'm a very happy person who has just made a substantial donation to a charity Ed supports.
Was your vehicle on finance?