Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Daily driving with track pads is a real headache – they just don't cut it. When they're cold, they hardly stop at all, plus they're noisy and leave dust everywhere. I really hope they're not supposed to be actual track pads and maybe a different compound. Ended up yanking them off my e92 M3 and going for something more street-friendly.

• Informative
Reactions: ashegam
In CA you can use proof of insurance for your current vehicle, provided you have full coverage insurance currently and it doesnt expire soon (something like 60 days).

In CA your current insurance will cover you in the new car for a few days to give you time to add it to your policy. I dont know if there is a regulated amount of time, but you normally get somewhere between 5-10 days to add your new car to your policy.

Every new car I have bought out here in the past 20 years let me provide my current insurance card as proof of insurance, so you should just do that.
Do you know if this would work if I am just a driver on the policy and not the name insured? This would be my first car purchase.

Reactions: jiren
Those pads were $800 when bought from the Track Pack part numbers with the last M3P. So, that's nice that they are preinstalled.
Sorry for all the typos! 😁 I am curious if the $800 Plaid pads were carbon fiber like the rotors explained their high cost. My thinking is that it's a pad that has more metal content that will bite better initially but may not hold up to true extended track use.

I got my VIN yesterday in the LA area as well. I'm unable to schedule delivery without Insurance first. Were you able to do so? I couldn't sign up for Tesla Insurance with the VIN provided and unable to do so with others like Progressive, AAA, Allstate, etc. None of them accept it as a valid VIN.
Congrats! I was able to chat with a Sales Advisor on the App and they were able to schedule the delivery date for me. I do not have insurance set up yet but I am getting that taken care before delivery.

Reactions: jiren and GuyFromAz
It's because the car isn't available for a demo drive yet. It's only available in person as a showroom model. They invited some limited number of prominent youtubers to drive it, so they're the only ones who have published any comprehensive reviews of the car so far because of that special access.

The thing is, those reviews weren't comprehensive at all.

The thing is, those reviews weren't comprehensive at all.
There wasn't a single interview by anyone who had ever taken a M3P anywhere near a track, or understood any intricacies of the performance whatsoever. Every single review was a waste of time. Top Gear (which is a joke anyway) had no less than 7 blatant errors. Tesla certainly jacked up who they gave cars to.

Daily driving with track pads is a real headache – they just don't cut it. When they're cold, they hardly stop at all, plus they're noisy and leave dust everywhere. I really hope they're not supposed to be actual track pads and maybe a different compound. Ended up yanking them off my e92 M3 and going for something more street-friendly.
"For more braking performance, our track-ready brake pads now come standard on Model 3 Performance*, delivering more immediate deceleration and higher thermal limits and endurance." From: https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-new-model-3-performance

It is afterall, the performance addition. The brake fade was substantially less with the track pads. Yeah, a little more dust and noise, but I rarely use my brakes. It's a tough balance for sure.

I wouldn’t sweat it too much, regenerative braking takes care of quite a lot!

Assuming the production cars match the early limited reviews I think this will be the best car I’ve ever owned (except for the lack of stalks). See list below. I’ve had a 2021 M3LR with acceleration boost for the last 3 years and despite the subpar interior build and suspension relative to some prior cars it’s still been my favorite car. Now I’m not sure where on my daily commute I will be able to utilize the ridiculous instant torque without getting arrested but I’m sure as heck going to try. I do wish it had at least the same range as my 2021 M3LR but willing to give a little up for the performance. Unless it doesn’t meet expectations or there is some major flaw it seems like a steal for what you get.

-1994 Honda Civic Coupe manual
-2001 (B5) Audi A4 1.8T (tuned) Quattro manual
-2009 E90 335i xdrive
-2013 F30 335i xdrive
-2016 F30 340i xdrive with adaptive suspension
-2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport AWD
-2021 Model 3 LR with acceleration boost

Reactions: dsc888
"For more braking performance, our track-ready brake pads now come standard on Model 3 Performance*, delivering more immediate deceleration and higher thermal limits and endurance." From: https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-new-model-3-performance

It is afterall, the performance addition. The brake fade was substantially less with the track pads. Yeah, a little more dust and noise, but I rarely use my brakes. It's a tough balance for sure.
No more parking brake sticking to the rotor?

lol how often are you using your brakes daily driving? I'd saying you're driving your car wrong if you're stepping on it often.