Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does this have to do with the supposedly imminent CT launch (this thread)?
I think it's noteworthy that the truck has a 475 mile range. Throughout the CT development process, we have been benchmarking against the F-150 (since it's the only one that actually exists). But here GM comes (seemingly) out of nowhere and throws down the range gauntlet.

Not too bad. More range than the quick-to-market standard battery equipped F150 EV towing nothing. The Chevy likely has a substantially larger battery (>200kwh).
It does have a roughly three thousand pound battery, so good it can go some distance.

Not sure about these electric trucks. Seems there needs to be some sort of jump in energy density. Just so heavy.

I guess if the truck weighs 9k pounds or whatever, adding another 6500 has not much impact.

Big question is whether CT will be substantially different. Not clear how that could be accomplished. We’ll see.

Reactions: cusetownusa
The Chevy Truck with that large of a Battery will most likely cost over 100K. Is it really going to be cheaper to charge these Trucks while on a long distance towing trip over an ICE Truck? Two weekends ago my Son's Truck broke down in Acworth Georgia. Luckly I have a Flatbed Trailer. My Trailer has fold up ramps with spaces inbetween the cross bars but the ramps still create drag. I left my House and did a pit stop an hour and a half West of Chatanooga Tenn. and put fuel in the Truck since I was stopped anyways and got to Acworth Ga. with 3/4 of a tank. We left the Hotel with 3/4 of a tank and stopped in Manchester Tenn. to fill the Truck up. I usually stop for fuel when gauge is just above 1/4 of a tank. Made it Home with the gauge between 1/4 and half a tank. It was closer to 1/4 tank. Total mileage was 765 miles. Towing 8500 lbs. I spent 150 dollars in gas for the round trip. Would I have saved with an electric Truck?

The Chevy Truck with that large of a Battery will most likely cost over 100K. Is it really going to be cheaper to charge these Trucks while on a long distance towing trip over an ICE Truck? Two weekends ago my Son's Truck broke down in Acworth Georgia. Luckly I have a Flatbed Trailer. My Trailer has fold up ramps with spaces inbetween the cross bars but the ramps still create drag. I left my House and did a pit stop an hour and a half West of Chatanooga Tenn. and put fuel in the Truck since I was stopped anyways and got to Acworth Ga. with 3/4 of a tank. We left the Hotel with 3/4 of a tank and stopped in Manchester Tenn. to fill the Truck up. I usually stop for fuel when gauge is just above 1/4 of a tank. Made it Home with the gauge between 1/4 and half a tank. It was closer to 1/4 tank. Total mileage was 765 miles. Towing 8500 lbs. I spent 150 dollars in gas for the round trip. Would I have saved with an electric Truck?
Silverado WT4 pricing is known, and has been discussed by TFL. The WT4 which is that long-range model is $80k. That's still damn high for a work truck. The WT3 will have less range (300 something?), and will be a lower cost. According to the project head, the fleet customers were requesting the long-range version first.

*BREAKING - a truck's range and efficiency declines when you start hauling large items behind it.

What does this have to do with the supposedly imminent CT launch (this thread)?

200w.gif

I would contend that it will probably be a wash on a long distance trip. DC Fast Chargers are typically quite expensive (even Tesla SCs). But how much are you driving that truck regionally and charging at home? That will be DRAMATICALLY cheaper. I currently pay $0.087/kWh all in (rate, cost of fuel, and taxes) for off peak use (everything outside of 2-7pm M-F is off peak) so assuming a 200kWh battery pack that was dead, it would cost $17.46 to fill which would give you the aforementioned 232 miles towing. In the video they said that EA was charing $0.48/kWh for fast charging. You paid $0.196/mile on your trip. The Silverado, charging at my house, would be paying $0.075/mile. Granted your trailer was heavier so the range may be different which would change the numbers. If I use the numbers from the F-150 in the video, using $3.45/gallon (current price here) at 9.8mpg yields $0.35/mile.

That being said, I think your numbers may be a bit off. gasbuddy.com says fuel prices in Acworth, GA are 3.15/gallon. $150 gives you 48 gallons of fuel. 48 gallons of fuel to cover 765 miles means 16mpg average. That's a lot better than the F-150 in the video (9.8mpg). Using 9.8mpg to cover 765 miles would have taken 78 gallons at a cost of $245 dollars. So even with ICEs there is a lot of variation.....

But again, if you can charge at home, electric is WAY cheaper.

I would contend that it will probably be a wash on a long distance trip. DC Fast Chargers are typically quite expensive (even Tesla SCs). But how much are you driving that truck regionally and charging at home? That will be DRAMATICALLY cheaper. I currently pay $0.087/kWh all in (rate, cost of fuel, and taxes) for off peak use (everything outside of 2-7pm M-F is off peak) so assuming a 200kWh battery pack that was dead, it would cost $17.46 to fill which would give you the aforementioned 232 miles towing. In the video they said that EA was charing $0.48/kWh for fast charging. You paid $0.196/mile on your trip. The Silverado, charging at my house, would be paying $0.075/mile. Granted your trailer was heavier so the range may be different which would change the numbers. If I use the numbers from the F-150 in the video, using $3.45/gallon (current price here) at 9.8mpg yields $0.35/mile.

That being said, I think your numbers may be a bit off. gasbuddy.com says fuel prices in Acworth, GA are 3.15/gallon. $150 gives you 48 gallons of fuel. 48 gallons of fuel to cover 765 miles means 16mpg average. That's a lot better than the F-150 in the video (9.8mpg). Using 9.8mpg to cover 765 miles would have taken 78 gallons at a cost of $245 dollars. So even with ICEs there is a lot of variation.....

But again, if you can charge at home, electric is WAY cheaper.
Agreed. It's been shown pretty consistently that for on-the-road charging, the cost of gas and electric is pretty much the same. The savings come from charging overnight at home. That's why I advise people that if you don't have the ability to charge at home, on your own meter, then an EV is not the right vehicle for you.

Reactions: MyJoule
I own a Lighting and just completed a 1650 mile trip using EA and EVgo chargers which varied in cost from 0.21/KWH to 0.59/KWH- At least I was able to get charged at each, which was iffy unlike Tesla Superchargers which just plain work, Can't wait for Access in the F150 Lightning. I spent $249.11 for the trip. Charged 11 times, (12 if you count the 5% we got at a hotel overnight one night) Of course we weren't towing, but we were driving highway speeds. Averaged 2.1m/KWH. Towing might have doubled the cost of the trip and probably increased the number of charges to 20 or so. I'm curious like everyone What will the CT do? We know what the F150 Lightning and the Silverado EV can do. I guess they are the current benchmarks.

I own a Lighting and just completed a 1650 mile trip using EA and EVgo chargers which varied in cost from 0.21/KWH to 0.59/KWH- At least I was able to get charged at each, which was iffy unlike Tesla Superchargers which just plain work, Can't wait for Access in the F150 Lightning. I spent $249.11 for the trip. Charged 11 times, (12 if you count the 5% we got at a hotel overnight one night) Of course we weren't towing, but we were driving highway speeds. Averaged 2.1m/KWH. Towing might have doubled the cost of the trip and probably increased the number of charges to 20 or so. I'm curious like everyone What will the CT do? We know what the F150 Lightning and the Silverado EV can do. I guess they are the current benchmarks.

Traveling that far in a Ford Maverick @ $4/gallon would have cost you $178.