Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am frankly shocked by how stunningly ugly the Cybertruck is

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... by how stunningly ugly the Cybertruck is. Seeing it in person on the road is even more retina-burning than seeing it in pictures or on the internet. I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but how this thing got past the designers and then Musk's approval is beyond my imagination. It looks like something someone cobbled together in their back shed over many beers on weekends, and it is so far from the styling of the rest of the brand's vehicles that it surely must be the best practical joke a carmaker has pulled on the car-buying public since the Edsel.

Give me a Model 3 any day.

... by how stunningly ugly the Cybertruck is. Seeing it in person on the road is even more retina-burning than seeing it in pictures or on the internet. I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but how this thing got past the designers and then Musk's approval is beyond my imagination. It looks like something someone cobbled together in their back shed over many beers on weekends, and it is so far from the styling of the rest of the brand's vehicles that it surely must be the best practical joke a carmaker has pulled on the car-buying public since the Edsel.

I care about function more than beauty.

I pre-ordered it for $79,990 because it would give me 500 miles of range. Now, it costs $96,390 for only a 320-mile range, so it looks like the function also failed, even with the sacrifice of the look.

I care about function more than beauty.

I pre-ordered it for $79,990 because it would give me 500 miles of range. Now, it costs $96,390 for only a 320-mile range, so it looks like the function also failed, even with the sacrifice of the look.
Exactly. Typical Musk. Go out on stage and say anything on his mind stumble through the words and 5 years later we get this POS

I give you props for voicing your opinion. The design is certainly controversial. It had to grow on me, and now I love it.

As was said above, it's polarizing. Some love it, some hate it. And that's OK with me. When cars are boring and bland, no one genuinely wants it. It's just a car. When someone loves a car, they WILL buy it. The haters weren't going to buy it anyway.

Large legacy ICE trucks have their own share of ugly. Usually it is only their owners that find them beautiful. Example is an F-350 dually, lifted, huge mud tires, bolt on light racks, bed with 5th wheel gear, front winch, bull balls hanging from rear hitch, gun rack, flags waving, huge exhaust belching black diesel fumes, side steps, cargo net mesh tailgate. Noisey and rumbling as it goes clumbsy down the road. Won't fit in the garage, parking lot, or barely in it's lane. The thing will ride and handle poorly, limited top speed and poor braking capability...yet the owner will think he looks cool.

I'm all for bold designs that are not afraid to break new ground, or just be practical first. Giving a bold look to a truly ground breaking vehicle provides a strong anchor in people's memory that they can mentally tether all the awesomeness to (or if it fails, they tether all the failures to it).

Some examples from history that I respected as bold moves, (with mixed results at the end of the day):

Nissan Cube (bold, but failed to deliver)

Honda Element (bold, successful in it's context)

PT Criuser (wait! come back! it was bold in context for about 15 seconds, failed to hold up to the promise and is now mostly a joke).

Aztek: (ha ha ha)

DeLorean (bold, execution was meh)

New Beetle (bold, fun, love it or hate it, it worked as intended)

I was ready to love the Cubertruck, assuming it had off the hook specs and was a major step change forward. Also, assumed it would deliver practical improvements and at least keep up with functional state of the art of all trucks (integral tool boxes, split tail gates, easy reach over/steps, all the good stuff).

Unfortunately, going bold and failing is almost impossible to recover from.

Reactions: coleAK
I'm all for bold designs that are not afraid to break new ground, or just be practical first. Giving a bold look to a truly ground breaking vehicle provides a strong anchor in people's memory that they can mentally tether all the awesomeness to (or if it fails, they tether all the failures to it).

Some examples from history that I respected as bold moves, (with mixed results at the end of the day):

Nissan Cube (bold, but failed to deliver)

Honda Element (bold, successful in it's context)

PT Criuser (wait! come back! it was bold in context for about 15 seconds, failed to hold up to the promise and is now mostly a joke).

Aztek: (ha ha ha)

DeLorean (bold, execution was meh)

New Beetle (bold, fun, love it or hate it, it worked as intended)

I was ready to love the Cubertruck, assuming it had off the hook specs and was a major step change forward. Also, assumed it would deliver practical improvements and at least keep up with functional state of the art of all trucks (integral tool boxes, split tail gates, easy reach over/steps, all the good stuff).

Unfortunately, going bold and failing is almost impossible to recover from.
whether is has failed is yet to be determined.

Reactions: cusetownusa

I don’t think it’s completely ugly but what I detest is all those sharp edges. I also think this was Musk’s design that was forced on the engineers, not the other way around.

Reactions: Nack and Skavatar