Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to lock up your private charger in a condo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's in a public location and someone finds it, it can add up. I wouldn't do it on the side of my house, but at an office park or a shared parking area I probably would lock it up. It also avoids any sort of conflict in confronting someone.

I would likely leave a phone number (google voice?) on it that someone could call in case of emergency.

If it's in a public location and someone finds it, it can add up. I wouldn't do it on the side of my house, but at an office park or a shared parking area I probably would lock it up. It also avoids any sort of conflict in confronting someone.

This discussion is about a secured private parking area in a condo association. I leave both of my wall connectors powered up and accessible to anyone who sees it (one in an open carport and the other on a post on a gravel driveway). This is true even when I'm gone for weeks at a time. Both of them are about 20-30 feet from the road and visible to anyone driving by. One is off a public city street and the other is in a gated vacation community of about 300 homes. Never had a problem and I'm not anticipating one.

If someone eventually steals a free charge from me, whoop-dee-doo! :rolleyes:

With the new Tesla version 3 HPWC using wifi, I could see Tesla Implementing a setting in the app sending a notification to your phone asking to approve authorization. The cars Wi-Fi & HPWC could also notice each other and allow charge without needing confirmation. It’s just a matter of when Tesla isn’t as busy and gets around to developing nice to have features.

The cars Wi-Fi & HPWC could also notice each other and allow charge without needing confirmation. It’s just a matter of when Tesla isn’t as busy and gets around to developing nice to have features.

It might be a long wait because Tesla prioritizes upgrades to those things that are most important. I really think unauthorized charging is probably pretty low on the list of things that are actually a significant issue.

With the new Tesla version 3 HPWC using wifi, I could see Tesla Implementing a setting in the app sending a notification to your phone asking to approve authorization. The cars Wi-Fi & HPWC could also notice each other and allow charge without needing confirmation. It’s just a matter of when Tesla isn’t as busy and gets around to developing nice to have features.

They have announced “coming soon” the ability to require payment.

Tesla shares several “coming soon” features enabled by the new Wall Connector:

• Reporting: See how often and how much charging happens at your property.
  • Remote diagnostics: Firmware updates and fixes, service alerts for repairs as needed.
  • Reimbursement: Opt-in to charge users a fair price for the electricity they use when charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: StealthP3D
This is what we did. Had 5 chargers but with a 3k monthly utility bill from non customers to our building we had to install it.
kgLKVCJ.png

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Though not as secure as a steel box, after coming across this thread I settled upon this as a solution for housing the mobile connector and thought perhaps someone would find it useful as well. Available in many colors.
Altelix 17x14x6
Inner dimensions 15.7 x 11.8 x 4.8 Inches

IMG_20201015_185131.jpg
IMG_20201015_185109.jpg

Reactions: Stin121